Dirt Underneath Boulder

Dead tired but I wanted to post the set list. Found this on the interweb, but I can't think of anything that was left out.

Angels in Fuselage....WOW

1. Bulldozers and Dirt

2. A Ghost To Most

3. After the Scene Dies

4. Panties In Your Purse

5. Heathens

6. Women Without Whiskey

7. Two Daughters and a Wife

8. Daddy Needs A Drink

9. Cottonseed

10. Wallace

11. Tails Facing Up

12. Lisa's Birthday

13. Nine Bullets

14. Runaway Train

15. Checkout Time in Vegas

16. The Opening Act

17. Gravity's Gone

18. My Sweet Annette

19. George Jones Talkin' Cellphone Blues

20. Bob

21. Sinkhole

22. The Living Bubba

Encore:

23. The Man I Shot*

24. Loaded Gun In The Closet

25. Lookout Mountain

26. Buttholeville > State Trooper > Buttholeville (very short)**

27. Angles in Fuselage**

NOTES:

* New Patterson song. First Time Played.

** With Scott Baxendale on acoustic guitar

I was there and I must admit I was somewhat disappointed. I thought the show was a little slow at times, not just because the songs were played acoustically but because it just wasn't happening. The new Patterson songs are pretty weak at this early stage so it may be something else better later but I found myself diggin' the usual Cooley stuff and not any of the Patterson stuff. I think the stripped down format showed the DBT are a great rock band but not much else, without the huge wall of electric guitars they lacked their usual power. After about 10 songs I was ready to leave but I stayed and found myself getting very bored and tired by the end. By the encore I was watching the show from the flat panel TV's in the lobby bar, by the 2nd song of the encore I bailed opting to grab a sub at Jimmy Johns up the street.

I hate to admit it but the DBT lack something without Isbell. For what ever reason they always have Cooley's guitar turned down too low and John Neff can't deliver a solo like Jason could. IMO that was a big reason it seemed like the band lacked punch. As usual the Cooley songs were great but like I said before some of the Patterson stuff wasn't changed enough to make an acoustic version sizzle, Sinkhole was anemic. Some drastic rearrangements may have made the songs fare better in the acoustic format but it's hard to say. I wish I would have liked the show more because I had high expectations.

The DBT should stick to what they do best, rock, and maybe do a few acoustic songs here and there in their set, like they do on their albums. I didn't feel like they could keep me interested with just an acoustic guitar, like Tweedy can. Given that Patterson and Neff used some sort of stomp box boost for a few solos, a-la Nrivana unplugged, tells me they may not be comfortable in that format either.

The biggest joke of the evening was the opening act, that guy should be a SNL character called Singer Songwriter Cliche Man because he used every one known to man in every song he played, effin' terrible.

I was there and I must admit I was somewhat disappointed. I thought the show was a little slow at times, not just because the songs were played acoustically but because it just wasn't happening. The new Patterson songs are pretty weak at this early stage so it may be something else better later but I found myself diggin' the usual Cooley stuff and not any of the Patterson stuff. I think the stripped down format showed the DBT are a great rock band but not much else, without the huge wall of electric guitars they lacked their usual power. After about 10 songs I was ready to leave but I stayed and found myself getting very bored and tired by the end. By the encore I was watching the show from the flat panel TV's in the lobby bar, by the 2nd song of the encore I bailed opting to grab a sub at Jimmy Johns up the street.

I hate to admit it but the DBT lack something without Isbell. For what ever reason they always have Cooley's guitar turned down too low and John Neff can't deliver a solo like Jason could. IMO that was a big reason it seemed like the band lacked punch. As usual the Cooley songs were great but like I said before some of the Patterson stuff wasn't changed enough to make an acoustic version sizzle, Sinkhole was anemic. Some drastic rearrangements may have made the songs fare better in the acoustic format but it's hard to say. I wish I would have liked the show more because I had high expectations.

The DBT should stick to what they do best, rock, and maybe do a few acoustic songs here and there in their set, like they do on their albums. I didn't feel like they could keep me interested with just an acoustic guitar, like Tweedy can. Given that Patterson and Neff used some sort of stomp box boost for a few solos, a-la Nrivana unplugged, tells me they may not be comfortable in that format either.

The biggest joke of the evening was the opening act, that guy should be a SNL character called Singer Songwriter Cliche Man because he used every one known to man in every song he played, effin' terrible.

To each his own. I can agree with you on that opener....I found myself thinking I wasn't in on the joke or something at times.

• 3 weeks later...