Austin would be great if it weren't for all the Texans.

Actually, having lived here since 76 (and I was born in Texas), the problem with Austin is the folks, my father would call them "yankees", who've moved here only to adopt "texanisms" they've learned from TV and movies...

That aside, hope y'all can make it down for the show...

please don't schedule wilco against the white stripes, my morning jacket, or arcade fire.

I second that. I have opted out of ACL the last few years, but there is no way I'm not going this year. If only they would cut down on the # of bands and make it less expensive.

I second that. I have opted out of ACL the last few years, but there is no way I'm not going this year. If only they would cut down on the # of bands and make it less expensive.

ACL is very affordable compared to other festivals around the country. Charles Jones, Charles Attal, and company try very hard to make it an enjoyable experience. I've been to all the ACL fests and each one is better year after year.

Austin's population has doubled every 20 years for the last 100. We've folded in the new folks pretty well over the years. The douchbag quotent has gone up in some areas of the town. But, overall it still a cool place to be.

Austin isn't a great place to visit for the outsider. It takes a couple years understand the culture. I mean what other community celebrates Eeyore's Birthday?

Our community welcomes you with open arms to Zilker Park. Pop open a beer, kick back in you lawn chair, and enjoy the music.

(You might want to get used to 100'+ temps while your at it. Heat does a body good.)

i bought tickets even before Wilco's announced involvement, but im 200% more stoked now!

I have become a loyal ACL attendee since first attending in 2005. I intend to go every year, and this year seems absolutely fantastic. I think you absolutely can't beat ACL in terms of price, services, good will, and of course MUSIC!

Austin is a incredible city, and i always enjoy my stay there.

See you there!

:dancing

Do like i have done the last two years... spend three nights in Dallas and catch full sets of your favorite bands on their way down to ACL or just back from ACL in air conditioned venues without the massive crowds.

Most acts will play full sets in Dallas for about $25 bucks a ticket. Last year i got the Ranconteurs, Flaming Lips, Aimee Mann and assorted other acts from the ACL that opened those shows; all in small venues. The venues were half full, as most music fans were three hours south for the weekend. Hotels were easy to find and much less than Austin rates for that weekend.

dave

• 4 weeks later...

I had to dig deep to find this thread....

So wondering who's going? A friend of mine got his airline ticket and is insisting that I go. Will there be a VC contingent? Do we know what day Wilco will be playing? Is it worth it? Lots to do in Austin? I'll be just starting as chair of my department in the fall and think this would be an excellent time to escape and show faculty my priorities.

Thanks. :thumbup

ps--let's do all we can to stop responding to the "controversy" and move on since that thread has truly become most annoying thread on VC.

I think Austin is a great city. I lived for there for six years. I'd like to go to ACL this year, but I don't think I'll be able to. The last time I went was in '05--last time Wilco was there. As good as the bands were that year, the thing I'll remember most is the weather that Sunday. It reached 109 and the park was like the Dust Bowl.

Anyone know if Wilco will play a show at a local venue on another day? In '05 they played a show at Stubbs the day befor they played at ACL.

I'll be driving down from Oklahoma with a friend who is just now getting into Wilco. This will be his first time to see the band unless they stop in OKC or Dallas first. I'd love to meet up with a VC contingent. Let's make it happen.

Austin would be great if it weren't for all the Texans.

On behalf of the denizens of the Lone Star State, let me say

cashfinger-big.jpg