• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that title is a little out there, but I like the way the cover looks. GaGaGaGaGa.jpg

And actually, they could call the new record: Poop Is Awesome and as long as it was new music from Spoon I would not care.

And actually, they could call the new record: Poop Is Awesome and as long as it was new music from Spoon I would not care.

In my opinion, they've been on a bit of a losing streak lately. Kill The Moonlight and Gimme Fiction, while still very good, are my two least favorite albums of theirs. I'm hoping this new one will right the ship.

And yes, I realize I'm probably in the minority in my opinion of those two albums.

I'm new to Spoon,have Girls can tell,and a few live shows.Whats the next step?I really enjoy them.

I love the album cover... Gimmie Fiction wasn't as good as Kill The Moonlight, but I've not actually heard their early stuff, so perhaps I should investigate... they were great when I saw them last year live too, not a band that come to the UK very often.

Album for album, they're scaring me. Just so damn good.

The only other bands whose albums I enjoy this much start to finish are Wilco followed distantly by the Decemberists.

My Last.fm also seems to hint at the fact that I'm enamored with them considering I didn't "discover" them until August last year...

You more of a Telephono kinda person?

In a way, yeah ... but A Series of Sneaks is one of my favorite albums of all time.

My personal ranking of their output:

1. A Series of Sneaks

2. Girls Can Tell

3. Soft Effects EP

4. Love Ways EP

5. Telephono

6. Kill the Moonlight

7. Gimme Fiction

Girls

Sneaks

KTM

Soft Effects

Gimme Fiction

Love Ways

Telephono

On Gimme Fiction the first three songs are so good, that the rest of the album seems to be a let down. If they had spread those songs throughout the album I might have viewed the album differently, anyway Girls in my opnion still is a clear cut favorite.

Spoon is one of the most efficient bands out there right now. The ear for arrangements is remarkably well-tuned. Every note counts. Britt Daniels' rasp is one of the more authoritative rock voices out there, too. It all sounds very Spoony when mixed together with those lilting, casually cool vocal melodies.

The last two albums are probably my favorites, so suffice to say I'm eagerly waiting for the new one.

Here's what Spoon's website says about the stupid album title:

The new album Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is named after the sound of one of the first songs written for the record, "The Ghost of You Lingers".

I like Spoon a lot. Their music is just catchy and energetic and clever and good.

Lyrically, Spoon doesn't overwhelm me....and Daniel sounds marble-mouthed at times....but neither of those minor criticisms prevent me from cranking their cd's full-blast.

1. A Series of Sneaks

2. Kill the Moonlight

3. Girls Can Tell

4. Love Ways EP

5. Soft Effects EP

6. Telephono

7. Gimme Fiction

Sneaks and Moonlight are really tied for 1st, but if I had to choose...'Car Radio' would push Sneaks over the top. That tune (and Uyen's online pimping) is the one that hooked me in. Really excited about the new one (anybody gets a leak, please help a brother out)...that's just a ranking, but I really do dig each and very album a lot.

I have an unbelievable cut of 'Paper Tigers' from SXSW 2002 going on a mix i'm going to post up here soon. I never put live tracks on my mixes, but it just worked so niiiiiccccce.

Also, I have to give mad snaps to Uyen every time this band comes up...Spoon and Beulah are two of the best reccomendations anyone has EVER given me and they've become two of my favorite bands ever. PROPS!

I'm still awaiting the promised announcements of the super-secret shows outside of New York.

i saw spoon for the first time a couple of weeks ago at some private party for Jack Daniels. They were incredible.

i have never heard anything before Kill the Moonlight and may have to resolve that problem this afternoon.

fwiw, someone i know in NYC has heard the new album and said if you liked Gimme Fiction, you should enjoy this one, but that he wasn't exactly bowled over it by any means.

so who knows...