Two discs of unreleased songs from the Elliott Smith and Either/Or era and two solo performances of songs from Mic City Sons. A lot of these have been heard before, but they sure sound fantastic, and the songs I hadn't heard I'm really enjoying :thumbup

Riot Coming, All Cleaned Out, New Monkey, Either/Or, Go By, High Times are all standouts for me right now, but that could change by tomorrow :)

Anyone else been listening to this?

May 8. Amazon has some pretty good liner notes up on their site.

Also, here's Uncut's review.

It would have been cool if a mastered version of See You in Heaven with vocals showed up :music

(for those who haven't heard this unreleased gem: http://www.sendspace.com/file/my8a59 - sadly it seems Elliott never got around to recording a vocal track for this :hmm )

I've been listening to this almost non-stop for the last few days. There are a number of real heartbreakers on here. "Angel in the Snow" and "Georgia, Georgia" are amazing, and I've never heard these versions of "Either/Or," "See You Later," or "Thirteen."

May 8. Amazon has some pretty good liner notes up on their site.

Also, here's Uncut's review.

It would have been cool if a mastered version of See You in Heaven with vocals showed up :music

(for those who haven't heard this unreleased gem: http://www.sendspace.com/file/my8a59 - sadly it seems Elliott never got around to recording a vocal track for this :hmm )

if you go the Sweet Adeline messageboard, you can actually ask Larry Crane if he has found this. elliott's family has hired him to archive pre-Dreamworks recordings. he has been kind enough to answer everyone's questions.

if you go the Sweet Adeline messageboard, you can actually ask Larry Crane if he has found this. elliott's family has hired him to archive pre-Dreamworks recordings. he has been kind enough to answer everyone's questions.

See You in Heaven seems to have become the Holy Grail for a lot of Sweet Addy folks, but I'm pretty sure Jennifer Chiba has said she doesn't think Elliott ever recorded vocals for it, but a guy from a magazine (Uncut I think) said when he was interviewing Elliott, he played it in his car and sang along with the music. Who knows, Larry has said it will take him about a year to sort through all the other tapes.

See You in Heaven seems to have become the Holy Grail for a lot of Sweet Addy folks, but I'm pretty sure Jennifer Chiba has said she doesn't think Elliott ever recorded vocals for it, but a guy from a magazine (Uncut I think) said when he was interviewing Elliott, he played it in his car and sang along with the music. Who knows, Larry has said it will take him about a year to sort through all the other tapes.

why is this exactly? did he play the song live?

why is this exactly? did he play the song live?

People just seem to really like the instrumental version we have, me included. For me, it's insanely catchy and sounds so upbeat for an Elliott song, it just feels like it could have been a really transcendental song (well it is for me anyways, but vocals would have taken it to another level). Plus, when that guitar kicks in around 3:05, oh man it's all over, I'm in love.

I don't think it was played live, but people have surmised that "My New Freedom", an unreleased live song, could possibly be an earlier incarnation of SYIH.

People just seem to really like the instrumental version we have, me included. For me, it's insanely catchy and sounds so upbeat for an Elliott song, it just feels like it could have been a really transcendental song (well it is for me anyways, but vocals would have taken it to another level). Plus, when that guitar kicks in around 3:05, oh man it's all over, I'm in love.

I don't think it was played live, but people have surmised that "My New Freedom", an unreleased live song, could possibly be an earlier incarnation of SYIH.

I guess this is one I haven't heard. After his death, I downloaded a ton of songs from the b-sides sites, but I don't remember one with that title.

The only instrumentals I have are, "Tiny Time Machine, " and, "Our Thing."

Can you tell me anything about those?

According to what I have them filed under in my itunes, Tiny Time Machine is a demo from Figure 8, I think it also transformed into Suicide Machine, a song he played live. Our Thing is a b-side from the Waltz #2 single.

yeah.

as far as new moon, i'm spinning it for the first time and it SOUNDS like outtakes. however, this is a case where it seems like fans want the stuff more than the survivors are looking to get paid, so those who want it will be glad to have it and no one would get duped into buying it based on hype. it's not unreleased nirvana material.

I have never listened to Elliot Smith, but i just piggied out on Either/Or the album.

Was that the correct move?

Check out XO. It's the best one.

(And Figure 8, too, and the self-titled one).

I have never listened to Elliot Smith, but i just piggied out on Either/Or the album.

Was that the correct move?

I guess it's kinda the middle album (literally actually i think) where he still had some lo-fi quiet acoustic songs, but then began to expand his sound with prominent drums, electric guitar.

If I could only have one ES album it would probably be X/O, but I like each one.