Andrew Bird 4/25 Boulder

Wow. Tonight was amazing. Andrew played for nearly two hours to a mesmerized crowd. I can't get over how insanely talented he is. The only mild disappointment was that he only did 2 songs from Eggs. Oh well, everything he did play was incredible.

Apostle Of Hustle was fabulous. I've listened to their record a lot this year and was really looking forward to seeing them tonight. They were tight, and really engaging. The show was sold out, and the theatre was pretty full for their opening set, still you could hear a pin drop. It was really really really nice.

Here's the set:

Steve The Cat

Imitosis

Fiery Crash

Spare-Ohs

Dear Dirty

Plasticities

Heretics

Simple X*

Armchairs

Skin Is, My

Scythian Empires

Dark Matter

-----

Why?^ (was supposed to be Action/Adventure according to the setlist. I liked this better :yes )

Tables And Chairs

^Andrew solo

*I think I can honestly say tonight was my first time to witness a See n' Say being utilized as an instrument...

Fisher_Price_See_n_Say_Farmer_Says_Electronic_Lever_Toys-resized200.jpg

While others are decrying the fact that Wilco will no longer player smaller venues (or clubs such as Matryrs), it appears that Andrew's time has also come when he will no longer play the clubs in Chicago. He has sold out those type of places in a flash here and seems to be playing larger places even on the road.

My first time seeing him with Bowl of Fire many years ago at an uncrowded Metro, he said he had never played anywhere that large before. Having seen him at places like Schubas and the Hideout, I am sorry to see those days go for him too, but our loss is the world's gain. He deserves the recognition.

I also saw him play the See n Say...what a riot.

LouieB

I was there last night too. Great show. The new tunes really lend themselves to his live approach much better than the older stuff, so I was quite pleased with the setlist. Simple X was the highlight of the night for me. And I really enjoyed Apostle of Hustle as well. The crowd was eerily quiet. Normally I'd say that is a very good thing, but there was complete silence even in between songs. Weird.

The most amazing time I saw Andrew was at the Milwaukee Summerfest, just before Wilco, last summer. When he played the drunk and rowdy crowd got amazingly quiet (except for a couple assholes of course) and stayed that way throughout the set. Andrew is a unique talent, not everyone appreciates him, and he has paid his musical dues for alot of years. It couldn't happen to a more talented or deserving guy. He did not find success overnight.

LouieB

The most amazing time I saw Andrew was at the Milwaukee Summerfest, just before Wilco, last summer. When he played the drunk and rowdy crowd got amazingly quiet (except for a couple assholes of course) and stayed that way throughout the set. Andrew is a unique talent, not everyone appreciates him, and he has paid his musical dues for alot of years. It couldn't happen to a more talented or deserving guy. He did not find success overnight.

LouieB

I was at Summerfest. It was my introduction to Andrew. I was with some friends and, while I found his style and talent interesting, we got kind of annoyed by the whistling after awhile.

I am SO glad I gave Andrew's "Mysterious Production" a chance. Just a near-perfect album as is the new one. I was in Newport on 4/14 to see him and, despite the fact that I was as close to sleep as I've ever been before the show even started, it was excellent and I can't wait to see him again.

:o Nobody went crazy for the amazing A of H percussionist? Girls were throwing their panties on the stage the show I saw.

there was nothing even remotely resembling craziness at that show... though it did remind me that a girl threw her bra on stage at the decemberists show on sunday. then she asked colin for it back... :unsure

there was nothing even remotely resembling craziness at that show... though it did remind me that a girl threw her bra on stage at the decemberists show on sunday. then she asked colin for it back... :unsure

:lol

it went something like this: colin played solo for the first couple of encore songs, and he stretched his mike into the crowd for people to request stuff (the fillmore has a barrier a few feet from the stage). some woman gets to the mike and says "take your pants off! give me my bra back! play (insert song here)!" i forgot what song she actually requested. colin threw her bra back into the crowd. :lol

Wow...looks like a great show. I just moved out to Denver from Baton Rouge and really look forward to catching some shows. There seems to be some great Venues and plenty of acts coming thorough. Never been to Red Rocks either!

Getting married in a couple of weeks, so that, plus getting settled in my new place and and my new job has me pretty tied up. Any pointers on must see and do things would be greatly appreciated. I've already found Twist and Shout and the Tattered Cover books store. Twist and Shout is such a great record store...on par with Waterloo. Will probably keep it on the down low until the weekend before the big day....have tickets to the Truckers Dirt Underneath Tour at the Fox in Boulder. Looking forward to running into some of you CO VC'ers in the near future.

Will

Wow...looks like a great show. I just moved out to Denver from Baton Rouge and really look forward to catching some shows. There seems to be some great Venues and plenty of acts coming thorough. Never been to Red Rocks either!

Getting married in a couple of weeks, so that, plus getting settled in my new place and and my new job has me pretty tied up. Any pointers on must see and do things would be greatly appreciated. I've already found Twist and Shout and the Tattered Cover books store. Twist and Shout is such a great record store...on par with Waterloo. Will probably keep it on the down low until the weekend before the big day....have tickets to the Truckers Dirt Underneath Tour at the Fox in Boulder. Looking forward to running into some of you CO VC'ers in the near future.

Will

The Gothic Theatre is a great place to catch a show, as well. Not sure if you like the jamband stuff, but several in town that are related to eachother serve up that scene nicely. Both the Ogden theatre and the Bluebird regularly book decent acts in the club vein. Both are on the dive-y side, though. The Paramount Theatre gets folks like John prine often. The new Soiled Dove (in Lowry) is a fantastic place to see live acts, and they cater to a lot of Bluegrass and Folk acts. Obviously Red Rocks. The Fillmore is nice, as well, with very good sound.

Tattered Cover and Twist & Shout are both superb. Glad you found them already.

And try the Rocky Mountain oysters....

Welcome to CO, particularly Denver.

Oh, and The Kinetics events are up in Boulder this weekend. A goofy home-made watercraft competition along with great beer and tunes (usually). I believe Robert Randolph and The family band headline this year.

Also, Dinosaur, Jr. will be playing in the streets downtown for some fest pretty soon.

hey will - well, you've already found just about the two best things in denver in twist & shout and tattered cover.

i go to a lot of live shows, and these are my favorite venues:

hi-dive

larimer lounge

bluebird theater

fox theatre (in boulder)

i just don't like the bigger theaters anymore. i won't go to the fillmore unless there's someone i really want to see. gothic and ogden are ok. the paramount is beautiful, but they don't very often host bands that i want to see. recently i've seen the decemberists and imogen heap there and both were amazing shows. red rocks is awesome, it's the only venue that i ever attempt to line up early - ga seats are like the first 20 rows and then the back half of the amphitheater. so you can get middle of the line reserved seats, but if you buy ga and get there early you can get in the first few rows. awesome.

these are some of my favorite restaurants (but i'm vegetarian, so a couple may seem a bit hippie... :lol ):

watercourse (they just opened a veg*n pizza joint, too - city, o'city, where i dined with friends tonight, incidentally. veggie sausage, pepper & onion pizza... :thumbup )

mercury cafe

star of india

ras kassa's (in boulder)

jerusalem restaurant

pete's kitchen well, it's a bit "diner-y" for a vegetarian, but i love their grilled cheese, and they're "a colfax institution"!

tom's home cookin' comfort food heaven...

wolfe's barbeque they have bbq tofu!!

a couple of fun festivals:

taste of colorado they have good live music sometimes. saw bodeans several years ago and it was a blast. i think tmbg played a few years back, but i was out of town...

chun people's fair

great american beer fest :cheers

and for music:

rocky mountain folks fest in lyons (not too far outside boulder)

rockygrass (same venue as rmff)

and if you're willing to make the drive:

telluride bluegrass festival (i've never been, but i hear it's an absolute blast. i swear to make it down one day)

four corners folk festival

ok i'll shut up now... :lol

EIDT - oh i just remembered you should try to catch an e-town taping sometime. it's taped at the boulder theater and is an interesting experience. i saw chris thile do e-town last month and had a great time. also, andrew mentioned last night that he thinks he's doing e-town in a couple of months. :w00t

While others are decrying the fact that Wilco will no longer player smaller venues (or clubs such as Matryrs), it appears that Andrew's time has also come when he will no longer play the clubs in Chicago. He has sold out those type of places in a flash here and seems to be playing larger places even on the road.

he sold out 350-capacity bluebird theater last september, then last night a sold out 700-capacity fox theatre. not bad at all. in between, in december, he opened for devotchka at the ogden, which i believe holds around 1100.

I also saw him play the See n Say...what a riot.

that was awesome.

Andrew is a unique talent, not everyone appreciates him, and he has paid his musical dues for alot of years. It couldn't happen to a more talented or deserving guy. He did not find success overnight.

sadly i was introduced to andrew with mysterious production of eggs. i was shocked to learn how long he'd actually been making music. i'm happy for him, he is amazing and deserves every bit of success that he gets. of course i am sad for myself because i'll probably never get to see him at a place like the fox theatre again...

sadly i was introduced to andrew with mysterious production of eggs.
His Bowl of fire work is definitely worth checking out, but only if you are into gypsy/swing jazz type stuff. It is very different, but there are times when I have seen him lately when I wished he would just cut lose and play the damn violin sometimes.

LouieB