1st Album/1st Concert

I'm curious about the first music album/cd/tape you purchased as a youth and the first concert you attended. I've omitted my 45s of Oscar the Grouch doing "I Love Trash," the "Rubber Ducky" song, etc. and skipped albums my folks bought (Kiss, an 8-track of The Beatles' 1962-1966, etc.).

I hopped right to the first one I bought with my own pilfered cash...

1st album: Unfortunately, it was Shaun Cassidy's Shaun Cassidty, 1977. Featuring the smash cover: "Da Doo Ron Ron." Though I did have an 8-track of the Beatle's "1962-1966" but I didn't buy it.

1st concert: My dad took me and my older brother to The Doobie Brothers per our request in 1976 or '77 at the New Haven Coliseum. A few years later he even sat through a Frank Zappa concert in Hartford with a friend and I. Nice guy.

What d'ya got?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mine are rough

I cant remember if the first cd (im 20, by the time i was purchasing music we didnt deal in tapes) was either Offspring (the one with the skull on the cover) or R.E.M. eponymous...

First concert, Phil Collins in the round.

I can't remember with certainty the first album--started getting so much music young from my dad. I remember the beatles compilation getting constant spin when I was very young--I couldn't stop listening to them and pretending to play the drums. :yay

First concert was ozzy osbourne, with metallica opening. 6th grade.

I can't remember that far back for the 1st album and I am only 18. Just think how great my memory will be when I am 50.

But let's just say my 1st album was "Abbey Road" because that's really the album I remember as having the biggest impact on me.

1st concert- Bob Dylan (Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL. 2005). I don't remember the exact date, but it was a Sunday near the end of March because it was the last day of my spring break. The show was great especially "Don't Think Twice It's Alright," and "Tryin' to Get To Heaven."

I'm not sure about first concert. I think I saw Conway Twitty at the stock show for my first show, my friends mom took us. But I can't remember if that was before or after I saw Kiss in 1979.

I have no doubt my first album was Kiss Alive, it was a gift. The first album I ever bought with my own money was Boston.

First Album: Dave Matthews with Tim Reynolds live

First Concert: I was 6 years old and I had to have an operation on my leg to saw off this big bump that hurt anytime I bumped it on something. The night before the operation my mom took me to see The Rankin Family to take my mind off of it. :wub My second concert was The Moffats (not my idea, my friend forced me in grade 4), and then in the summer of 2005 (I think) I went to Calgary to see Bob Dylan. I tend to tell people that he was my first concert.

the only music i listened to as a young kid was whatever my mom and dad listened to... my dad - mainly willie nelson, johnny cash & hank williams. the only thing i remember my mom listening to much (she likes talk radio) was gordon lightfoot.

so, i'm pretty sure that the first tape i bought for myself was cyndi lauper - she's so unusual. i was probably in 5th or 6th grade.

on the first concert, my dad took us to some when we were young. i distinctly remember willie nelson and ronnie milsap, not sure if there were more. but the first concert i remember attending without a parent was bruce springsteen & the e street band, circa 1986.

First albums, both on vinyl:

d81026dtos3.jpg c33794yhpr1.jpg

I honestly can't remember my first concert, but it was probably some aging doo-wop band--like the Four Tops--that my dad wanted to see. And I probably had a great time.

First Album - Mr. Rogers - Won't you be my Neighbor?

First Concert - Grateful Dead

:cheers You had all the bases covered! :lol

My first album: Beatles "Yesterday and Today"

First records bought with my money: Either a handful of old Beatles singles at garage sale of the girls who lived behind us whose parents unfortunately became born again (Ten cents apiece!) or Magical Mystery Tour EP's at Value Village (both partially funded unknowingly by my poor sweet innocent brother).

First concert: Doobie Brothers, no parents ("What's that wonderful, earthy smell?) at thirteen. Met my first girlfriend there.

First Album I bought: Beatles "Something New" (1964) (I was 9, bought it with allowance money after begging my mom for the "okay" :pray )

g51055sojco.jpg

First concert in home town: The Friends of Distinction :lol

"Grazing in the Grass is a gas, baby can you dig it?"

I can dig it, he can dig it, she can dig it, we can dig it, they can dig it, you can dig it. Oh, let's dig it. Can you dig it, baby?

things got better though:

First concert away from family: Led Zeppelin. Sep 1, 1971, in Hollywood, Florida :rock (age 15)

The first album I bought was a Beatles Greatest Hits compilation of some sort (I think spanning their career) and it was on cassette tape. I got it at K-Mart.

The first concert I remember going to was Three Dog Night, they played in a park in Springfield, OH when I lived there.