the decemberists 4/4/07

no. i was eaten by the whale.

this was an amazing show. i expected them to be a royal snooze-fest but they blew me away live. i don't even really know what to say. i haven't seen that great of a show in awhile.

My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist

The Crane Wife, 1, 2, and 3

July, July!

Engine Driver

On The Bus Mall

Yankee Bayonet

Oh, Valencia!

16 Military Wives

The Island/Come And See/The Landlord's Daughter/You'll Not Feel The Drowning

When The War Came

Wooden Ships (Crosby, Stills, and Nash)

Encore: The Mariner's Revenge Song

I'm going to see them on the 20th in Madison. Can't wait. How was MBD? The girl I am going to the show with is a huge fan of her.

she was absolutely incredible. my friend didn't really enjoy them but i absolutely loved their set. the only problem was they only got to play 20-30 minutes.

(Not that I haven't heard that live, but it's been a while.)

that was certainly the highlight of the night. i had never seen them live and had no clue what to expect, and when the whale came out i about imploded.

I saw MBD and The Decemberists in Boston--they were fantastic. I only wish that the Decemberists would have played for us a bit longer. In person, the new songs rock much more than you might expect from the album.

I'm getting very sad though because I am moving away from Vermont at the same time Wilco will be visiting. Maybe I will be able to fly back to catch them in Shelburne.

Nice to see the return of the Bus Mall. Portends good things for the string of Chicago shows in 2 weeks.

about my least favorite Dec. tune, really, but to each his own

love the Island, they should play the Tain

They have played The Tain a couple times on this tour. They actually played it on 4/3. There's a recording of that show up on eTree. I'm really hoping to hear Los Angeles, I'm Yours or I was Meant for the Stage. A Cautionary Song would be sweet, too.

They have played The Tain a couple times on this tour. They actually played it on 4/3. There's a recording of that show up on eTree. I'm really hoping to hear Los Angeles, I'm Yours or I was Meant for the Stage. A Cautionary Song would be sweet, too.

Heard none of the above last night in Louisville. I'm hoping for all of those on Monday in Milwaukee myself.

And now, after only a few hours of sleep, I drag myself back to work...

Not wanting to start another thread, this is what I have to say about the Milwaukee show last night.

I got there at about 2:45 to be third in line behind a couple from Chicago who had been there since noon. The next couple that showed up arrived at about 3:45. I must say, I was expecting a higher demand for good spots at the Pabst. But, it was nice to sit down for a few hours after working 9 hours in a busy diner on Sunday night, cramming for an exam, sleeping for four hours, taking said exam at 7:45am Monday, registering for fall classes, getting on a bus to Milwaukee, and eating a yummy lunch at Webbs. Anyway, the show....

My Brightest Diamond completely blew me away. Usually I research opening bands so I'm not too surprised if they suck (let's face it, half they time they do). But, with my busy past day or so, I forgot to. When Shara appeared on stage, I was thinking "Oh, a girl that plays guitar...." (I was also thinking she was foreign, possibly Russian). Halfway into the first song I was already impressed. It's good rock music with interesting vocals; not interesting bad, but interesting like Bjork....awesome interesting. Then, unknown to me because I really haven't gotten into classic rock yet, they covered Zeppelin. It was impressive. The last song, Freak Out, was just that, a freak out. I thought she was going to tangle herself up in her guitar cables, knock over the Rhodes, or something that would make her land on her ass during that song, because she was thrashing like mad. When I see the show on Friday in Madison, I'm getting their CD. MBD setlist (napkin style):

Golden Star

The Robin's Jar

Magic Rabbit

Edith

Disappear

"Zep" (No Quarters)

Freak Out

Now, for the main course. I had a perfect spot right under Colin's nose, no monitor to get in the way. When the house lights went down, it took another 3 minutes for the band to appear on stage. I was able to see the sound guy give a thumb's down a few times, but I still don't know what it could have been. It was nice to hear The Island played in full; takes a lot of balls to play an 11 minute song live when you are accustomed to four minute songs. Shara from MBD did the female vocals for Yankee Bayonnet. I would like to hear Myla Goldberg played fast live, like it is on the album, but it's still fun singing along to "I know New York, I need New York, I know I need unique New York." When Colin was describing Milwaukee, with it's architecture and theaters, he said he felt like he was in Munich. I gotta say, that's very far from the truth, but, then again, I've been there most of my life. As anyone who's been to the Pabst knows, the second balcony is high and steep. Colin expressed his worry that some people could fall and die from up there; he urged them caution if they stood up. The highlight of the show was the mid-show calesthenics. It was quite invigorating. What surprised me the most was after When the War Came. It decended into a Handshake Drugs-esque noise solo. I hope this signals a new direction in the Decemberists. The most memorable and heartfelt moment was before Sons and Daughters when Colin made an acknowledgement of what happened at VT. Being away from any type of news portal all day, I had no idea what had happened. I heard someone next to me tell her friend what happened, and I was overwhelmed. Colin added something to the effect of, "For a band who uses violence as a literary tool, it's a shock when something like this happens. Violence has no place in this world; it only belongs in fiction." He urged us to think of the victims and their families when singing "Hear all the bombs fade away." Now, I have had some brilliant concert experiences before, but hearing all those people sing that over and over and over again was by far and away my favorite so far. There was a great deal of emotion in those words last night. As always, The Mariner's Revenge Song closed the show out in a rousing, dramatic fashion. I have no idea how, or if, they can top it on Friday.

California One

The Island (in full)

Yankee Bayonnet

The Bachelor & the Bride

Myla Goldberg

The Crane Wife 1

Oh, Valencia

The Legionnaire's Lament

Perfect Crime 2

When the War Came

Sons and Daughters

-----------------------------

Eli the Barrow-Boy was on the setlist, but was skipped for some reason

The Mariner's Revenge Song

I saw the 4/8 show in Orlando. "Wow" would also be my review. Colin had lots of funny stuff to say about playing in an amusement park (Hard Rock Live, inside Universal City Walk). "Thanks for coming to the heart of the beast tonight." (sic). "Thank you residents from, uh, around here - nobody actually lives IN Orlando, right?" (audience agrees). Jokes about leaving the concert and passing the Endangered Species store and the Nascar Grille, with an E on the end to make it classier.

I became a fan of this band in a weird way, I read Colin Meloy's 33 1/3 book on The Replacements' "Let It Be" and was so fascinated by his story telling (most of these 33 1/3 books aren't "stories") I had to go buy some of their CDs.

Don't miss a chance to see them live. Captivating. And their fans take them VERY seriously. Made me feel, well, normal.

-Laura

My Brightest Diamond completely blew me away.

MBD was awesome.

However, I don't think I had the same perspective on this show as you did. Maybe it was the 800 miles I'd already driven in the days prior to the show and the thought of another 450 back home... I live in southern Indiana, saw the Decemberists in Louisville on Friday, Andrew Bird in Newport on Saturday, and then drove up to the Chicago area on Sunday night, met up with some friends, and eventually ended up in Milwaukee for Monday night's show.

Funk seemed out of it/tired/unsure/etc. We were standing right against the stage in front of him and he was just not all there. To add to that, he messed up his part several times. I think that spread to the rest of the band as they all didn't seem totally into it (with the exception of John, who ALWAYS seems into it). In Louisville, he was totally animated, horsing around with Colin on stage. Louisville was a much more energized show.

Also, it disappointed me to have "When The War Came" in the set yet again. With the added distortion mess at the end, it's a song that goes on for far too long (think Spiders for Wilco). It's by far my least favorite Decemberists song and during it I found myself longing for Billy Liar, Los Angeles, or, honestly, anything off their first two albums.

Still a really good show. Worth the 900 mile round trip? Probably not. But it was still solid and worth it to hang out with friends at a concert of such an exceptional band.

We were standing right against the stage in front of him

Dang. I was right under Colin's nose. Always like to meet more VCers at concerts.

But tonight's show at the Orpheum was a lot more energetic. I'm not as wordy as I was with my Milwaukee review, but some highlights include:

- John playing Mariner's Revenge blindfolded

- Billy Liar

- THE TAIN as a nice 15 minute encore (honestly the first time I've ever heard the song)

- The round of "la di da di da's" in 16 Miliatry Wives

- The entire balcony trembling enough to make me fear for my life

- Hearing The Bus Mall after my friend asked Colin to play it before the show

I cannot wait for the free show at Millennium Park this summer. I'll be waiting outside EARLY for a good spot.

- Hearing The Bus Mall after my friend asked Colin to play it before the show

It's one of my favorite Decemberists songs, so I'm glad your friend asked Colin to play it!

The Tain was great. I honestly can't remember if I've seen them do it before, but I know I've wanted to.

Last night is one of the best concert experiences I have had. I was about 10 rows back, and loved every minute of the show. Hearing The Tain was great, but Billy Liar really was one I wanted to hear. I would have really loved to see Grace Cathedral Hill, but that's no complaint.

I was really glad with how well My Brightest Diamond played. She commands such attention up there, but it was like a lot of people didn't get into her set. It is definitely a much different dynamic than The Decemberists, though. Magic Rabbit was awesome, and when she did No Quarter, I was ecstatic.

It's one of my favorite Decemberists songs, so I'm glad your friend asked Colin to play it!

The Tain was great. I honestly can't remember if I've seen them do it before, but I know I've wanted to.

two polar opposites of songs

The Tain = my favorite Decemberists (along with The Island)

On the bus Mall = my least favorite

well, i won't start a new thread for this since it's already here. i saw the decemberists last november when colin was horribly sick - they only played for about an hour before his voice totally gave out. that wasn't a bad show, exactly - i love the nuances of the "off" live shows, and although it was a short set, colin was visibly pushing himself as far as he could go, and i appreciated it. but then i'm biased... it's difficult for colin meloy to do anything i don't appreciate... :) tonight did make up for the last show though - we had a great time, and the band was very "on" and theatrical as ever. the setlist:

The Crane Wife 1 & 2

The Crane Wife 3

The Island (all)

The Infanta

July, July!

"Happy Birthday Shara"

Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)^

Shankill Butchers

The Engine Driver

On The Bus Mall

O Valencia!

16 Military Wives

The Perfect Crime 2

Sons And Daughters

-----

Bridges & Balloons*

Red Right Ankle*

The Mariner's Revenge Song

^with Shara Worden

*Colin solo

more complete (though slightly self-indulgent?) review here.

I really wanted to be in Denver the next time they played. If the tour was backed up a couple more weeks, I would have been there. That is such a killer set right there. The Crane Wifes, Island, Infanta AND July, July! is probably the best combo of Decemberists songs to start a show.