Your favorite albums of 2007

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the only ones I've listened to enough to say much (in some rough order):

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Andrew Bird -Armchair Apocrypha

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

Voxtrot - Voxtrot

David Vandervelde - The Moonstation House Band EP

Son Volt - The Search

Calla - Strength In Numbers

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Joss Stone - Introducing Joss Stone

The Good, The Bad & The Queen - The Good, The Bad & The Queen

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Living With the Living

I admit being totally biased on putting Wilco first, but I guess that makes this my favorites and not my opinion of the best. I could see the Arcade Fire disc moving up, but it still isn't hitting me like it seems to be many other around here (and lots of critics apparently). I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting and lots more I haven't gotten around to yet.

Seriously, you guys don't waste time.

I think maybe the only new ones I've heard this year are Wilco, Ted Leo, and Arcade Fire. Of those, the Wilco record is the only one I love, tho the others are growing on me.

Christ this is early but uh this year has been great for music so far and I hope it continues. Here's a rough list.

Wilco - SBS

Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Son Volt - The Search

Shins - WTNA

Battles - Mirrored

Dean And Britta - Back Numbers

Kings Of Leon - BOTT

Voxtrot - S/T

The Stooges

Are you just listing this as a 2007 album you've heard, or do you actually enjoy it? I have not personally heard it, but have heard nothing other than it being panned as the utmost of drivel.

It's been a great year so far. I really like the new ones by Arcade Fire, Of Montreal, Wilco, Feist, Ry Cooder, Son Volt and Bill Callahan.

How does the new Ry Cooder compare to Chavez Ravine? I really enjoyed that record but haven't gotten around to his new one for some reason.

limiting myself to albums that were actually released by 3/31, these are the top 10 (no, wait, 11... i have to include dr. dog because they fucking rule) for me so far (in no particular order):

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

Jamie T - Panic Prevention (OK, not released in the US, but it's just too fucking good...)

The Besnard Lakes - Are The Dark Horse

Papercuts - Can't Go Back

Menomena - Friend And Foe

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

Dr. Dog - We All Belong

upcoming releases that i am already in love with:

Blonde Redhead - 23

Cloud Cult - The Meaning Of 8

Mouthful Of Bees - The End

Voxtrot - Voxtrot

jury's still out on Sky Blue Sky (i'm ducking now)

i :wub 2007...

Are you just listing this as a 2007 album you've heard, or do you actually enjoy it? I have not personally heard it, but have heard nothing other than it being panned as the utmost of drivel.

I actually enjoy it, but yes, it has gotten universally terrible reviews.

Here's the thing. Almost all of the reviews focus on the lyrics. This is stupid. Yes, the lyrics are not all that great, but when has Iggy been a good lyricist? The Ashetons both sound amazing, Mike Watt is Mike Watt, and Iggy is singing off key, yes, and some of his lyrics are ridiculous, yes, but so what? It is a fun record, nothing more, nothing less.

I think a lot of the critics have sort of forgotten what the Stooges were about to begin with. I think that a lot of them are probably younger and didn't get into them until way after the fact (same as me, so I'm not criticising them just for that), and maybe since the Stooges have become sort of the top tier in the rock pantheon in some circles, that they sort of have an image of them that doesn't really jive with the music. The whole idea was to dumb it down and just put out primal rock music. And they do. It doesn't sound like the Stooges, but it feels like the Stooges, and it's the most flat-out fun record I've heard in a long time.

So they put out a fun, celebratory record that really just sounds like a celebration of the fact that they are playing together again. It's not a big statement, just some rock songs. Honestly, I think I prefer a record like The Weirdness to some sort of attempt to re-create Fun House in 2007. That's one of my favorite albums ever, but if they tried to do it again now, it would be a disaster.