Califone spring US tour

CALIFONE TOUR DATES

http://pastrysharp.com/

SCOTLAND:

04/26/07 Aberdeen, Scotland The Tunnels (7:30 PM)

04/28/07 Edinburgh, Scotland Cabaret Voltaire (7:00 PM)

04/29/07 Glasgow, Scotland Classic Grand (7:30 PM)

(Tryptich Festival, with Micah P Hinson and Grant Campbell)

USA:

Thu 5/3/07 Malibu, CA - Malibu Performing Arts Center *

Fri 5/4/07 Santa Cruz, CA - The Attic * -- now scheduled at Big Sur, CA - Fernwood Roadhouse * :wub

Sat 5/5/07 San Francisco, CA - Bottom Of The Hill *

Sun 5/6/07 Sacramento, CA - Old Ironsides *

Mon 5/7/07 Reno, NV - The Green Room *

Wed 5/9/07 Bend, OR - The Grove *

Thu 5/10/07 Eugene, OR - Sam Bond's Garage *

Fri 5/11/07 Portland, OR - Mission Theater *

Sat 5/12/07 Seattle, WA - Tractor Tavern *

Sun 5/13/07 Bellingham, WA - The Nightlight *

Tue 5/15/07 Missoula, MT - The Badlander

Fri 5/18/07 Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon ^

Sat 5/19/07 Milwaukee, WI - Pabst Theater ^%

Fri 6/1/07 Athens, OH - Stuart's Opera House !

Sat 6/2/07 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Tavern !

Sun 6/3/07 Buffalo, NY - Mohawk Place !-

Tue 6/5/07 Northampton, MA - Iron Horse !

Wed 6/6/07 Cambridge, MA - Middle East Upstairs !

Thu 6/7/07 New York, NY - Gramercy Theatre !

Fri 6/8/07 Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brenda's !

Sat 6/9/07 Washington, DC - Rock and Roll Hotel !

* Eric Johnson supports

^ Decibully supports

% Celebrated Workingman opens

! Bitter Tears supports

- The Stay Lows open

Good news for vinyl fans:

Roots and Crowns vinyl: New set of 1000 with hand-made cover art - ready in May for tour

Quicksand/Cradlesnakes vinyl: Thrill Jockey pressed 500 more copies - copies available at shows (and Thrill Jockey)

(from Pastrysharp board)

And further note: Robert! I hope you are going to make it to one of the shows in your area! :dance

I'd really like to see these guys ( thanks for turing me on to them Robert!) but damn the closest thing there is 5 + hours away. :ohwell

Good news for vinyl fans:

Quicksand/Cradlesnakes vinyl: Thrill Jockey pressed 500 more copies - copies available at shows (and Thrill Jockey)

No Chicago date??

I found a copy of Quicksand on vinyl for $3 recently.

LouieB

For anyone interested-

There is a documentary coming out on DVD called "Rank." It is about, of all things, bullriding.

Tim Rutili of Califone and a couple of others (Wil Hendricks and Michael Krassner) did the soundtrack as The Unseen Hand.

It's a really cool documentary and your should check it out if you get the chance.

Here is a review on PopMatters:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/film/reviews/32639/rank-2006/

• 3 weeks later...

Great interview with Tim Rutili by VC'ers M_Thomp and Welsh Rich. It's a very enlightening article, guys. :thumbup

twistedear.com

Interview - Califone

Written by Richard Ellis & Mark Thompson

Califone's Tim Rutili answers questions from the Twisted Ear think tank

Califone chief songwriter Tim Rutili is what you'd consider an alternative renaissance man: having administered some killer art-rock meets the Stones death moves with Red Red Meat, he now finds himself embracing earthier matters with the sample friendly, Genesis P. Orridge loving blues of Califone. Just as adept in other fields, Rutili has turned his hand to directing music videos, helping steer Perishable Records for a time as well as enduring countless other anything-to-fund-the-band day jobs. He's abandoned the hardy Windy City of Chicago in favour of the sunshine and schmooze of L.A. And he was also responsible for delivering 2006's Roots & Crowns, a rhythmically fluid and dynamic album that revived a long-forgotten American musical spirit of adventure.

On the eve of Califone's UK tour, Twisted Ear's Richard Ellis and Mark Thompson managed to ask Rutili about both the past and present. Here's the lowdown:

What are your memories of the early Red Red Meat days? I get the impression that the back of the van was the closest thing you could get to calling home?

We didn

Great interview with Tim Rutili by VC'ers M_Thomp and Welsh Rich. It's a very enlightening article, guys. :thumbup

twistedear.com

I'm sure Welsh Rich won't mind me pointing out that it was actually another VC'er, and another Richard, joss ackland's spunky backpack (or the Artist Formerly Known As Big Bank Hank) and who was the mainman behind that.

Thanks for the comments though. Keep them peeled for a Vetiver interview soon.

I'm sure Welsh Rich won't mind me pointing out that it was actually another VC'er, and another Richard, joss ackland's spunky backpack (or the Artist Formerly Known As Big Bank Hank) and who was the mainman behind that.

Thanks for the comments though. Keep them peeled for a Vetiver interview soon.

I definately was not the mainman behind it. I thought you were, or at the very least it was equal. I need to get a simpler screen name on here, clearly. :monkey

I definately was not the mainman behind it. I thought you were, or at the very least it was equal. I need to get a simpler screen name on here, clearly. :monkey

Oops! My bad. Sorry about that. :blush

But Hank/Joss/Richard, you're right -- I can't keep up with the name changes around here :lol and I apologize for "assuming" you, Richard, were the other Richard. I've probably been confused all along. Well, sadly it's a common thing for me these days! :hmm

At any rate, back to CALIFONE! Tell me/us more about this Califone encounter!

If you two collaborated on this article, did the interview occur prior to a show? And if so, what was your opinion of Califone live? And why am I left with a bit of uncertainty as to what's next for the band? I wish for them it was crystal clear and full force forward, but I know the creative arts/real life do not always work that way. I just think they're so brilliant. B)

PS to Owl - I totally want to see "Rank" - the rodeo documentary, and hear it as well, of course. :music Do you know when will it be released?

Oops! My bad. Sorry about that. :blush

But Hank/Joss/Richard, you're right -- I can't keep up with the name changes around here :lol and I apologize for "assuming" you, Richard, were the other Richard. I've probably been confused all along. Well, sadly it's a common thing for me these days! :hmm

At any rate, back to CALIFONE! Tell me/us more about this Califone encounter!

If you two collaborated on this article, did the interview occur prior to a show? And if so, what was your opinion of Califone live? And why am I left with a bit of uncertainty as to what's next for the band? I wish for them it was crystal clear and full force forward, but I know the creative arts/real life do not always work that way. I just think they're so brilliant. B)

No apology necessary. There are definately far to many Rich's from the UK around here.

It was only an email interview. But, my brother saw the band play in Bristol (it's in the South West of England) about a month before and only about 40 people were there. He said he didn't think they were anywhere near as good as they are on their recorded material, and I was rather surprised by this myself - having never seen them live I cannot comment, but he is normally very honest about this sort of thing. So I can only assume that the poor turn out in the audience must have put a downer on things, especially as everyone here says how great they are live.

I think the fact that Tim likes Even Dwarfs Started Small is enough for me to know that the band's next step will be a good one. You can't enjoy a film where this sort of thing happens, and not make interesting music.