I have the whole thing. I don't know what to think really. I really loved the three EP's but this album is really hard to judge from a few listens. I'll have more of an opinion on it later.

I have the whole thing. I don't know what to think really. I really loved the three EP's but this album is really hard to judge from a few listens. I'll have more of an opinion on it later.

i feel the same way. when i first heard the EP's, especially Raised by Wolves and Mothers, Sisters, Etc... I was blown away. That didn't happen with this one but after listening to the new LP many many time since Monday I can honestly say that it has grown on my like crazy.

I think they could have done better, but how, I do not know and who am I to say anyway...and besides, I do really like it.

My impression of this feeling is no more than my high hopes holding my senses back.

I will go on record as saying, this album is great...just give it time.

D

good record indeed, just doesn't have any of the highs of the first 2 EP's besides Firecracker, and nowhere near one of the best records this year, which i was pretty sure it had a lock on going in... it was probably my most anticipated album this year too.

it's gonna get pretty mediocre/mixed reviews unfortunately :ohwell

I've only listened through once, but my initial reaction mirrors the general attitude expressed in this thread: It's good, but lacks the punch of the EPs.

Still, I expect that it will grow on me over time. I didn't immediately respond to the EPs, either.

I'm really digging the few tracks I was able to nab off of some blogs...if anybody can help me take a full testdrive on this i'd appreciate it. I was late to the party on their EP, but really dug it once I picked it up.

That 'Firecracker' track is catchy as fuck.

I'm really digging the few tracks I was able to nab off of some blogs...if anybody can help me take a full testdrive on this i'd appreciate it. I was late to the party on their EP, but really dug it once I picked it up.

That 'Firecracker' track is catchy as fuck.

it's on sad pandas.... thesadpandas.blogspot.com

"cheer me up, cheer me up, i'm a miserable fuck" is probably my faovrite line on the record. so great.

I am gonna give this one a good portion of time over the weekend to sink in. I was playing it on the way home from work on Thursday and it really started to sink in. I might have made a rash judgement, which is nothing new with me really. :hmm

Dammit, that Stephen song totally reminds me of something else and I can't pin it down. It's the piano riff I think. Ben Folds? :frusty

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I haven't been blown away straight out of the gates yet, but it's definitely growing on me.

And Solace is probably bang on with the reviews thing... if you only give it a few listens it's a bit disappointing (at least comparatively)

yup.

on one hand it's too bad that some of the best records take a number of listens, as they often get reviewed by people who listen to something once or twice. but you also can't really expect someone who reviews albums for a living (or a hobby either), to give something that many chances for the sake of a review.

i enjoy the record a good deal now. only 2-3 songs that i find pretty damn bland, but i still stand by my 7.5/10 assessment, unfortunately. really good record, just not the amazing debut full length i'd hope for them.

they also picked a really bad first single too (Blood Red Blood)

Is it because we get albums so easily now, with leaks and downloads, that our attention span has shortened and we are on to the next great thing without taking the time to smell the roses, so to speak?

Is it because we get albums so easily now, with leaks and downloads, that our attention span has shortened and we are on to the next great thing without taking the time to smell the roses, so to speak?

For me, at least, the speed of accumulation definitely works against the dynamic of "living with the album" for a while. If something isn't initially gripping, it's tempting--and easy--to set it aside for something fresher. Sometimes that's no great loss, but sometimes that sacrifices an album that, given time, might have mattered to us.

My playlist is cluttered with albums that I feel I've wrongfully neglected. But there isn't truly time for them all, is there?

"cheer me up, cheer me up, i'm a miserable fuck" is probably my faovrite line on the record. so great.

since the first time i heard it, it always reminds me of david ford's "cheer up (you miserable fuck)". totally different songs, but i can't help it with the lyrical similarity.

i still love the voxtrot, though...

For me, at least, the speed of accumulation definitely works against the dynamic of "living with the album" for a while. If something isn't initially gripping, it's tempting--and easy--to set it aside for something fresher. Sometimes that's no great loss, but sometimes that sacrifices an album that, given time, might have mattered to us.

My playlist is cluttered with albums that I feel I've wrongfully neglected. But there isn't truly time for them all, is there?

totally. i feel like i don't want to miss out on the next great thing, but this means trying to listen to dozens of new albums every month. oftentimes those would-be "grower" albums will fall by the wayside because i just run out of time to listen to everything that i want to. too often i feel lucky to give an album ONE listen. i've constantly got albums on my iPod that i mean to check out, but before i know it they're months old. honestly, this is when i rely heavily on album reviews from sources that i trust to tell me what to listen to.

totally. i feel like i don't want to miss out on the next great thing, but this means trying to listen to dozens of new albums every month. oftentimes those would-be "grower" albums will fall by the wayside because i just run out of time to listen to everything that i want to. too often i feel lucky to give an album ONE listen. i've constantly got albums on my iPod that i mean to check out, but before i know it they're months old. honestly, this is when i rely heavily on album reviews from sources that i trust to tell me what to listen to.

Well, at least I know I amnot alone in my obsessiveness. :stunned

sweet jesus, i just listened to the whole thing and i'm hooked straight out the gate. i like the layers of sound w/ a lot of cool little things in the nooks and crannys (sp?). cool lyrics as well. first 'new' music of 2007 I dig the whole album cover to cover.

I used to have this problem as well. I'm a student at college and since September I've been employed as a bus driver part-time. I usually listen to albums straight through while walking around campus to class and when I'm on the job I can use a personal radio, so I bring along the Ipod speakers and get another 15 hours a week to just chill, drive around and listen to music. So basically I guess I'm lucky I found a way to escape music ADHD :)

shit, i work alone in the office for 15-20 hours per week, always plugged into the ipod, and i still can't keep up! :lol

sweet jesus, i just listened to the whole thing and i'm hooked straight out the gate. i like the layers of sound w/ a lot of cool little things in the nooks and crannys (sp?). cool lyrics as well. first 'new' music of 2007 I dig the whole album cover to cover.

crannies. ;)

i loved this album from the first listen as well. i think you and i may be alone in that assessment. :cheers

even the total Coldplay, made-for-tv-movie anthem, Grey's Anatomy destined "Real Life Version"? :whoo

it's a pretty song, and i don't hate it, but imo it sounds TOTALLY out of place, and it's gonna be one of the sticking points of a number of reviews i'm guessing.

if they'd closed the record with it, i wouldn't have as big of problem with it.