At a concert have you ever

For the 2nd time ever I walked out of a concert on Friday in LA. My friend really really really likes the Brit band Razorlight, so I said I'd go with her to the show. I do like their 2 singles "In The Morning" & "Golden Touch." They knocked those 2 songs out right in the beginning, and then it seemed downhill from there. About 5 songs later, my friend turned to me and said let's get the hell out of here. I was all about leaving. Funny part is, my friend in San Diego wanted to take me to a show the next day. It turned out to be Razorlight again, but they were much better the 2nd night with a lot more alcohol. A band named 'Mohair' opened up for them. Mohair made it well worth seeing both nights though.

the 1st concert I've ever walked out of was Death Cab For Cutie.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget the exact date but back in, I dunno maybe 92 or so I went to see the Allman Brothers at Great Woods (I think they call it the Tweeter Center now) in Massachusetts. Apparently the night before in NY Dickie Betts got busted for beating up his wife or something. Anyways the show starts and out comes Zach Wylde....seriously. Ozzy Osbourne's guitar player. He's got the bullseye patter Gibson explorer and he busting out heavy metal chops on "Statesboro Blues". We were pretty close to the stage and you could actually see other guys in the band rolling their eyes at him. I left after 3 songs.

I walked out of a Shannon Wright solo show at Schuba's a few years back. I'm a big fan of her previous band, Crowsdell, but this show was one of the worst things I'd ever seen. The screaming, I'm-so-tortured shtick is done to death anyways, and she wasn't even very good at it. Unlistenable, unwatchable, unbearable. Fortunately, the opener was The Waxwings, who ruled. :rock

There have been plenty of shows where I wanted to walk out on the opener, but ... well, they were the opener. (Recent example: whoever the fuck that was who opened for Califone in Ann Arbor a couple of months ago ... some kid who just stood on stage and twisted knobs while playing a cassette tape of godawful noise in front of an endlessly repeating, and endlessly stupid, homemade DVD.)

I've also been dragged out of a few shows earlier than necessary by sleepy/bored companions, but those don't count.

I forget the exact date but back in, I dunno maybe 92 or so I went to see the Allman Brothers at Great Woods (I think they call it the Tweeter Center now) in Massachusetts. Apparently the night before in NY Dickie Betts got busted for beating up his wife or something. Anyways the show starts and out comes Zach Wylde....seriously. Ozzy Osbourne's guitar player. He's got the bullseye patter Gibson explorer and he busting out heavy metal chops on "Statesboro Blues". We were pretty close to the stage and you could actually see other guys in the band rolling their eyes at him. I left after 3 songs.

that sounds legendary

I walked out of the Super Furries the last time I saw them. They were really, really boring. Which was odd as I'd seen them 12 months before in the same venue and they were great... but they just didn't perform and I was bored to tears by the end and felt bad walking out, as I'm a big fan of there's, but tonight they were off.

I walked out of a Shannon Wright solo show at Schuba's a few years back. I'm a big fan of her previous band, Crowsdell, but this show was one of the worst things I'd ever seen. The screaming, I'm-so-tortured shtick is done to death anyways, and she wasn't even very good at it. Unlistenable, unwatchable, unbearable.

oh geez yeah - did the same thing a couple years ago, for the same reasons. It was terrible

Gotta add a trainwreck Cat Power solo show as well. I don't think I heard one song in the 45 minutes spent standing by the stage after she came on. I will never be a fan because of it.

I've walked out of several shows.

Sebadoh-incredibly boring with sub par musicianship was the reason, ca. Bakesale tour.

Sonic Youth-they are hit and miss for me.

Black Crowes-my freakin' ride home showed up to early and I had to leave.

DBT's-12/31/05, it was the 3rd of 3 shows I attended and I got too wasted so I bailed.

you guys will probably think i'm crazy, but here are some that i can recall from the last year...

Beth Orton

Charlatans

Twilight Singers

North Mississippi All-Stars (I went b/c Jenny Lewis opened, left right after her set)

Ben Lee

My Morning Jacket

and most recently - snowden on friday night. i went b/c malajube was opening and i wanted to see them. i gave snowden a 5-song chance but was extremely bored, so i left...

The Smashing Pumpkins way back in the day (Melon Collie tour)

The Vines when they first came out.

Both are simply terrible in concert...or at least they were when I saw them.

also Death Cab bored me to tears, but I guess it just wasn't my thing...

(Recent example: whoever the fuck that was who opened for Califone in Ann Arbor a couple of months ago ... some kid who just stood on stage and twisted knobs while playing a cassette tape of godawful noise in front of an endlessly repeating, and endlessly stupid, homemade DVD.)

That was BRUTAL. I was embarrassed for the kid.

Walked out on Lynyrd Skynyrd ... 3 years ago. 'Nuff said. Why was I there, you ask? Don't.

Walked out on Drive By Truckers - Bobby Bare, Jr. totally overshadowed them as opener.

Plus, at 26, I think I was one of the youngest people in the room (other than band members). I even saw some of my high school friends' parents there, smoking and drinking hard. It was depressing.

Plus, the show started two hours late and I wanted to go to bed.

Apparently the night before in NY Dickie Betts got busted

If I recall correctly (no guarantees) I was at that show, when he got busted off the stage in Saratoga

Yep. Black Crowes due to my not really wanting to be molested by the guy behind me.

Guided By Voices before the encore because they (and the crowd) were stinkin' drunk. (Which is, in essence, a typical GBV show.)

it was at bonnaroo so i didn't really walk out, more like walk to another show.. BUT i was super pumped to see the mars volta. they had a 2-4 am time slot so it seemed like it was going to be a real great show. however they went on an hour and a half late and then when they started playing it just sounded like mud.. everyone was trying to solo at once and they brought these bongo/kongo players on stage with them. i really expected them to put on a good live show.. but after 20-30 minutes i just left

For the 2nd time ever I walked out of a concert on Friday in LA. My friend really really really likes the Brit band Razorlight, so I said I'd go with her to the show. I do like their 2 singles "In The Morning" & "Golden Touch." They knocked those 2 songs out right in the beginning, and then it seemed downhill from there. About 5 songs later, my friend turned to me and said let's get the hell out of here. I was all about leaving. Funny part is, my friend in San Diego wanted to take me to a show the next day. It turned out to be Razorlight again, but they were much better the 2nd night with a lot more alcohol. A band named 'Mohair' opened up for them. Mohair made it well worth seeing both nights though.

the 1st concert I've ever walked out of was Death Cab For Cutie.

Here's an addendum to this question...Have you ever fallen asleep at a concert?

Aerosmith...1976. They were high and played like crap and I was tired.

Here's an addendum to this question...Have you ever fallen asleep at a concert?

I actually fell asleep at a Taj Mahal concert in NH in 1987 or '88. I was front row center and had my feet up on the stage (a small theater) and had been drinking and other things all day. About 3-4 tunes in I was out. My friends were sitting elsewhere in the theater and I apparently became the object of several jokes by the man himself.

Sheryl Crow. Wilco opened and we left at the break. Didn't even see her face. We were 3rd row center. As we walked out we gave our tickets to four people in the last row. B)

I caught these two acts at Red Rocks but was backstage/sidestage for the show so opted to hear Sheryl Crowe's set. I didn't think it was that bad, but it might have been due to the fact that we kept heading backstage for beers more than actually listening to her....