Esquire gives props to Sunken Treasure DVD

The new issue of Esquire is their ESKY Music Awards edition. Among the winners is a nod to Jeff's "Sunken Treasure" as the best live music DVD for the year.

Other noteworthy items (from memory) ...

They list the 9:30 Club in DC as the best live music venue and Liberty Hall n Marfa, Texas, as the best small venue.

Best live band: My Morning Jacket

Best songwriter: Craig Finn

Best showman: Beck

Best new band: Cold War Kids

(I'll post more later ... or if someone else has the issue handy, feel free to chime in.)

I can't remember what award they were given but The Raconteurs got a mention and the picture and story they used was from Lollapalooza 2006. I can't find the list online. The Esquire website hasn't updated yet. :ohwell

I think Raconteurs got best "Group" ...

There's also a several page fashion spread featuring great photos Kings of Leon (wearing black) in this issue. (Hilary Swank is on the cover.)

The Esquire website is about 2 issues behind the printed publication.

Lunch break update ... here's some more entries from the magazine:

Best Concert DVD: Sunken Treasure: Live in the Pacific Northwest, Jeff Tweedy (with photo -- no other info).

Worst Trend in Music: Seated musicians.

Best Album Cover: The Eraser, Thom Yorke.

Best Kids' Album: Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of Nirvana. One in a series featuring songs from Led Zepplin, U2, the Cure, and others.

Biggest Agitator: James McMurtry

Most Prescient Visionary: Danger Mouse

Best Business Card: Billy Gibbons (says "friend of Eric Clapton" on it)

Best Entertainer: Beck

Best Festival: ACL (over Bonaroo and Coachella due to downtown location)

Best Solo Debut: Albert Hammond Jr. (the Strokes)

Best Potential Train Wreck: Paolo Nutini

Best Drummer: Julian Doro of the Whigs

Best Songbird: KT Tunstall

Best Real Live Blues-Man: Pinetop Perkins

Best Sense of Style: Ben Kweller

Best Country Artist (and the only reason we'd ever go to a Brad Paisley show): Jack Ingram

Best Music Venue in a Vast, Arid Expanse: Ballroom Marfa. This middle-of-the-nowhere west-Texas venue (in the unlikely and much-lauded art center Marfa) has become a must-stop for musicians like Patty Griffin, Jeff Tweedy, Yo La Tengo, and Spoon, who have all recently played the eight-year-old dance hall's ambitious and eclectic music series.

Plus, an article about Arcade Fire and others, titled "The Best Music in the World comes from Canada, as always."

Another good part of the ESKY's is the "Microclassification Glossary: A selective guide to modern musical subgenres" ... Some examples:

COWPUNK: Southern California blend of punk, country, and blues. (Me First and the Gimme Gimmes)

DEATH COUNTRY: Gritty blues and hard rock, with a country aesthetic . (Scott H. Biram)

HELLBILLY: Hardcore honky-tonk with punk influence. (Hank Williams III)

INSURGENT COUNTRY: Like alt-country, an overreaching label that can be applied to anyone bucking established country genres. Unlike alt-country, it cannot be applied to Jay Farrar, Jeff Tweedy, or any project they've even considered being a part of. (Bobby Bare Jr.)

JAMGRASS: Fast-paced, acoustic jam-band-and-bluegrass hybrid. (String Cheese Incident)

LO-FI: Indie rock with a low-budget, underproduced recording sound. Celebrated for its authenticity, whether bona fide or feigned. (Daniel Johnston)

PSYCHOBILLY: Elvis-influenced country with a punk attitude and sound. (The Flametrick Subs)

SLOWCORE: Singer-songwriters playing slow, downtrodden song, predominantly in a minor key. (Low)

TWEE POP: Gentle, innocuous indie pop. Also tellingly known as cuddlecore. (Belle & Sebastian)

Ok which do you all prefer: GQ or Esquire. I get both and prefer Esquire.

I prefer Esquire as well. If it wasn't for all the articles about fashion, they'd both be pretty perfect magazines. I can't say that I'm always interested in the cover story but they have good taste in music, literature, sports, politics...etc.

INSURGENT COUNTRY: Like alt-country, an overreaching label that can be applied to anyone bucking established country genres. Unlike alt-country, it cannot be applied to Jay Farrar, Jeff Tweedy, or any project they've even considered being a part of. (Bobby Bare Jr.)

I remember when that label used to be applied to them all the time. :ermm Actually, I hadn't heard that term in a long time--I though it had finally died out. Sorry to see I was wrong.