Warren Zevon Rarities Set

I'm a huge Warren Zevon fan, having seen him 4 times in concert between 1987 & 2000, and this is going to be a big year in Zevonland, according to Billboard. First, expanded reissues of Excitable Boy, Stand In The Fire, and The Envoy are due out Mar. 27th. Then there's a new rarities set his son Jordan has put together, called Preludes - Rare and Unreleased Recordings coming out May 1st. And for the true fanatics, the bio "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead," which is just a little further down on the priority list. :lol

I recently discovered that Warren is pretty well represented on archive.org, and have been obsessively downloading and listening to shows from there. Great early stuff with Jackson Browne, some very nice full band and solo shows ... gotta love the internets.

I might have to check out the archive.org stuff. I was actually just listening to the "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" comp. Contrary to conventional wisdom, I really think "Best Of" type comps are a horrible, horrible way to try to get a sense of an artist--particularly when they are multi-disc affairs it just gets overwhelming. I do like me some Zevon, but I never seem to make it more than 6 or 7 songs deep into this huge collection before I start zoning out.

I might have to check out the archive.org stuff. I was actually just listening to the "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" comp. Contrary to conventional wisdom, I really think "Best Of" type comps are a horrible, horrible way to try to get a sense of an artist--particularly when they are multi-disc affairs it just gets overwhelming. I do like me some Zevon, but I never seem to make it more than 6 or 7 songs deep into this huge collection before I start zoning out.

Heh, I just re-burned this compilation last night and have been re-listening to it since (when, in the car). A great slew of songs (although, I still think JGarcia's take on "Accidentally Like A Martyr" blows Warren's away).

I've downloaded a bunch of great shows of his from the archives site. Always a treat live. If you haven't ventured in over there, do so. So great late 70s stuff, of note.

WZ is an often overlooked name when mentions of great songwriters comes up. The man truly new how to carve a tune with his words. I dig that cat.

although, I still think JGarcia's take on "Accidentally Like A Martyr" blows Warren's away

Wow, I've never heard that. Is it available on any official releases?

WZ is an often overlooked name when mentions of great songwriters comes up. The man truly new how to carve a tune with his words. I dig that cat.

Yeah, me too. I love "Splendid Isolation," "Searching For a Heart," and "Reconsider Me," too.

Wow, I've never heard that. Is it available on any official releases?

It's on one of the out-takes/studio session pieces from the All Good Things....box set. Absolutely wonderful. I'm tutoring some students right now, but I will post it when I get home in a couple of hours.

Outstanding news! WZ is such a genius...listening to his music should be mandatory.

"Your pretty face, it looked so wasted...another pretty face devastated"

I am dying to hear the stuff on Prelude. :dancing

Nice delivery of the song but I don't think it would shake Warren's version off the perch for me. It is one of my fave songs of his. That and Tenderness On The Block.

Still a nice mellow version of it though. :thumbup

Not sure he would have approved. Even his son isn't sure he would have approved! :lol

http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/articl...released_in_may

Real in depth material from Paste.... :lol

Somehow I think he would have been fine with it. He may not have wanted it earlier in his career, but age, illness, and time seemed to have mellowed Warren.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

The abovementioned Preludes set just came out on 5/1, and Amazon.com is now hosting a "Warren Zevon Home Movies" clip with an early demo of Werewolves of London here. Pretty cool to see WZ when he was just a young guy.

According to one reviewer, Best Buy is selling a version with 3 bonus tracks, so I may have to check that out.

• 1 year later...

This is pretty cool:

On April 7, 2005, we received permission for Warren Zevon shows to be hosted at the Archive:

Subject: Warren Zevon

Please allow the exchange of unreleased live material from Warren Zevon on your website.

Sincerely,

Jordan Zevon