Old UT interview - Critical Mass - 1988

Most of you have probably seen this, but it's usually incomplete, either missing the end or part of the middle. This is the complete Critical Mass show (as aired on local STL TV) sometime before No Depression:

http://www.urflick.com/scripts/videoplayer.php?vid=1002037

And a few really old songs from The Primitives. Halloween 1985. This is the earlist known video of the boys.

Theme from the Munsters:

http://www.urflick.com/scripts/videoplayer.php?vid=1002040

And Psycho (yeah, I make a quick appearance here):

http://www.urflick.com/scripts/videoplayer.php?vid=1002088

enjoy!

chris

Most welcome. If you go to my channel, you'll find lots of Son Volt stuff:

http://www.urflick.com/scripts/artistprofile.php?aid=1000777

Jesse pretty much has Wilco covered, so I haven't bothered with that. Just digging up the old stuff from early UT. Found a few shows that were only "rumors" until recently. Halloween 85, first show as UT 86 (Corner Tavern) and a few from 87 (Lincoln Theater, French Village Drive In). They'll all become part of the DVD project in the next year or so. I'll put up clips as I go.

You should start a blog - and share some stories about those days.

Trouble with that is: Nobody really remembers much and when we do, we all remember it differently. So much of this stuff I didn't even remember until seeing the videos. First time I saw Halloween, I asked Joe (Camel, a band I later played in - more on that later) "Who is that guy?" Neither of us knew. Turns out, it was me.

And maybe some photos of that place they played, the place they lived in, etc.

Liederkranz is long gone. Not sure if the dance studio they lived above is still there or not. French Village is gone. Don't remember anyone talking pictures. We really didn't think anything was worth remembering.

Did the town tear the building down?

Did they not live around the Stag Brewery?

Louie B went in search of these things a few year ago.

There is a flyer with your band's name on it in one of the re-issues or the anthology - I forget which. But - you already knew that, of course.

Did the town tear the building down?

The Liederkranz either sat on, or was next to, Milstadt's big public park. They had huge Beefest and Homecoming picnics there (though nobody knew what the homecoming was from or for, it's just what they called the picnic). Can't remember when I was there last, but it has to be 10+ years, but I asked a local where it was and got the "they tore that down" story. Probably the city. It was a great place, but it was falling apart even when The Primitives were playing there. Best part was that the cops were OK with the whole thing. It was kind of a controlled enviroment of underage drinking (I was old enough, but most were 18-19). The cops just, sort of, guided everyone back to Belleville.

Did they not live around the Stag Brewery?

Not far, but not next door. Down the street and a couple blocks over. Nobody drank Stag though, we could get 905 labelled Stag for $3.09 a 12 in bottles. Funny, the things you DO remember.

Louie B went in search of these things a few year ago.

I can only apologize for not frequenting all the boarded-up fast food joints on Main Street enough. If you need a lawyer, it's a good town (and area).

There is a flyer with your band's name on it in one of the re-issues or the anthology - I forget which. But - you already knew that, of course.

Mike told me he mentioned us in his liner notes for one of those and I think Joe told me once about the flyer, but I don't remember seeing it. Sony was supposed to send me all that stuff, but never did, so I never bothered buying it. I have all the original Rockville CDs, so I don't really care.

I've got a bunch of vids queued up on urFlick, but they aren't showing up yet. :brow I'll holler when they show up.

chris

aha

Did you film that stuff?

Ever consider putting it up on a Bittorrent site?

I filmed the Son Volt stuff and did a lot of the stuff on Okemah. I don't like BT for DVDs until someone comes up with a verification for them.

Here's The Primitives doing Smoking Gun (or Do We Care?, depending on who you ask). You'll recognize it as what would become "Outdone":

http://www.urflick.com/scripts/videoplayer.php?vid=1002215