I'm the first to admit that I'm a "Johnny come lately" when it comes to new music, but if you're from or ever lived in the Minneapolis area - you have to appreciate Finn's walk through some old neighborhoods and landmarks. I just love this band - They're everything Soul Asylum wanted to be.

What do you think?

I, too, love The Hold Steady and everytime Finn nods to his and my roots I smile...

but Soul Asylum? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get that one...

I don't know - sometimes I think Soul Asylum is a little "popish" and can kinda see DP wanting to have the same depth of words as Finn. IMHO.

The only album I have is "Boys and Girls". Good stuff.

Get "Separation Sunday".

Oddly enough, I had that one first and was only sorta into it. Then I heard "Boys and Gilrs" and liked it, so I went back to the other record and it finally clicked for me and I became obsessed. Personally, I think it kicks the newer record's butt. :yes

the first one is still my favorite, but the new one is up there as well.

check out Lifter Puller, they're just as good (albeit not as polished)

I did, and yea I likes the rougher sound. You're Little Hoodrtat Friend" is great.

Thanks for the Lifter Puller recommendation. It's definitely more to my liking than The Hold Steady. He's got a really great style. I also checked out Separation Sunday and prefer it to Boys and Girls. It's been a month or 2 since I heard the latter but I thought it was just ok.

Well, i can respect that, you're entitled to an opinion! I actually really thought maybe there was some connection between the bands I was missing out on! Rock on...

well, dave pirner does sing on that chill out tent song. in a pitchfork interview, the hold steady cite soul asylum as one of their big influences.

• 2 months later...
"Boys and Girls" is an amazing album. I am seriously in love with it.

As am I. I didn't click with Separation Sunday until after I got Boys & Girls. And then seeing them live.....well, I'm an official fangirl.