Chicago neighborhood help

For you locals...

I've lived in Chicago for about two years. Luckily I've had a job that paid well enough to afford an apartment in Lincoln Park, which is nice and convenient to downtown, but I'm getting tired of the yuppies and trixies and I don't think I'll be able to afford it much longer anyway. I'm looking for a real 'neighborhood' that's reasonably priced and close to public transportation - preferably the Red Line. Also, having a grocery store nearby is important. I need to start apartment hunting soon. Any suggestions?

Rogers Park? It's on the red line...

I used to live in Edgewater (Granville stop on the red line), but that was back in the '90s. If it's gotten a little nicer since then (a big "if"), that might be OK. There was a Dominick's nearby that I always walked to.

Rogers Park? It's on the red line...

I used to live in Edgewater (Granville stop on the red line), but that was back in the '90s. If it's gotten a little nicer since then (a big "if"), that might be OK. There was a Dominick's nearby that I always walked to.

Both excellent suggestions. Rogers Park is certainly a REAL neighborhood, but no longer has a grocery store sadly. Edgewater is a much nicer neighborhood than it used to be and does have a Dominicks. If you are really looking for urban adventure, try Uptown (these are all along the Red line), which is also much less scary than it used to be and has many things to enjoy. If you can afford it, Lincoln Square along the Brown Line is really happening and would be a nice place to live. Further out the Brown line is Albany Park.

There is no real reason you have to deal with yuppies if you don't want to, but much of the north side is pretty much yuppieville anymore. If you have a car you can go anywhere or if you want something completely different, try the neighborhoods on the south side along the Orange Line, or further up the blue line from Wicker Park are a host of interesting neighborhoods including Logan Square. Lots of yuppies in Wicker Park and an increasing number in Logan Square too.

Lou

i have lived in ravenswood for the last 3 years & love it. its a reasonably priced dog friendly neighborhood with tree lined streets even. i can walk to either the red line, brown line or the metra. i have a choice of a large supermercado or can hop on the train to a grocery store.

lincoln square is also really nice. let me know if you have any other questions.

Both excellent suggestions. Rogers Park is certainly a REAL neighborhood, but no longer has a grocery store sadly. Edgewater is a much nicer neighborhood than it used to be and does have a Dominicks. If you are really looking for urban adventure, try Uptown (these are all along the Red line), which is also much less scary than it used to be and has many things to enjoy. If you can afford it, Lincoln Square along the Brown Line is really happening and would be a nice place to live. Further out the Brown line is Albany Park.

There is no real reason you have to deal with yuppies if you don't want to, but much of the north side is pretty much yuppieville anymore. If you have a car you can go anywhere or if you want something completely different, try the neighborhoods on the south side along the Orange Line, or further up the blue line from Wicker Park are a host of interesting neighborhoods including Logan Square. Lots of yuppies in Wicker Park and an increasing number in Logan Square too.

Lou

Agreed 100% except that there is a Dominicks in the Gateway Center at Clark and Howard in Rogers Park.

I almost live in Rogers Park -- the west side of ridge is technically West Rogers Park, though Joe Moore of the 49th ward is our alderman.

Agreed 100% except that there is a Dominicks in the Gateway Center at Clark and Howard in Rogers Park.

I almost live in Rogers Park -- the west side of ridge is technically West Rogers Park, though Joe Moore of the 49th ward is our alderman.

You are correct....I forgot about that. I was thinking about the Jewel on Morse that is long gone and the Dominicks down from your house on Ridge is closing soon I understand. RP needs more than one grocery store.

You are better off with Joe Moore than sleazy Bernie Stone, so thank your lucky stars on that account.

LouieB

I've lived in Lincoln Square for 7 years. It's awesome. Lots of great restaurants and a handful of good record stores. It's gotten considerably more pricey since I moved in but you can still find good aprtments for a decent price.

Logan Square is also cool and cheaper. Gets nicer all the time. It's on the Blue Line though.

Some nice areas on the South Side too, don't forget. Hyde Park is great as are some areas around Rush hospital off of Roosevelt.

I've lived in logan square for 3 years now and edgewater 1 year before that both are nice. Logan square is getting pricey, but should be less than what you're playing now. as far as "real" people, i dunno it's all perspective, if you live in logan square you'll probably go to The whirlaway and smallbar or something and really will see the same types of people you see now. The Blvds are pretty tho.

Frankly all of Chicago is more pricey than it used to be.

I have wanted to go to the Whirlaway for years.....never been.

Hyde Park is cool, but isolated from all the cool stuff that goes on on the northside.

I think the near southside looks pretty hot, if you can find a nice cheap loft.

LouieB