A Shot in the Arm

I'm The Man Who Loves You

--------------------------------

Passenger Side

Gun

Pecan Pie

Dreamer In My Dreams (w/o pa)

Acuff-Rose (w/o pa)

Tonight was the first show on this tour that I've gotten to see with Scott McCaughey opening, and since I haven't really seen a lot written about Scott's opening sets, I figured I'd at least post what he played tonight.

It was a treat to hear some songs off the Down With Wilco record, especially Daggers Drawn. And it was totally awesome to hear his version of So Much Wine. Apparently Scott's been playing with different local people each night, so his sets have been changing at least a little bit from night to night. At tonight's show, he had Joe Adragna (of a New Orleans band called The Junior League) with him on drums and background vocals. Scott played mostly keyboard, somewhat surprisingly. On a few numbers, he also played baritone guitar.

Anyway, here was his set:

Rifle Called Goodbye

Twilight Distillery

Daggers Drawn

My Life As A Creep

Original Luke (Scott-guitar)

So Much Wine (Scott-guitar) [Handsome Family]

The Town That Lost Its Groove Supply

The Days of Wine and Booze

Aw Shit Man (Scott-guitar)

:omg must have been a quiet audience!

Somewhat the opposite, actually. Jeff decided to try the unplugged approach early on seemingly to see how the talkers would react to an unamplified number. They piped down for a little while, but when it started to get louder again, Jeff's only recourse was to play, as he put it, "songs where I shout." He showed us his cheat sheet with those aforementioned songs and another cheat sheet with like 80 percent of the songs blacked out because, as Jeff explained, they were just too quiet for this type of venue and crowd.

My personal favorite jackass of the night was the guy toward the front who kept yelling loudly for California Stars. Personally, it wouldn't have been my request, but fine, whatever. The thing was, at some point--I can't remember if it was before or after Jeff acceded to the request--the guy starts explaining why he was so eager to hear the song. This is a direct quote: "I saw (Wilco do) California Stars in West Palm in '98 and I was making out with some British chick at the time." And then after Jeff gently chided the crowd for its lack of knowledge about setlist construction, basically implying that it should have saved a song like CS for later in the show, the guy actually yelled out something like, "I don't give a shit about the set" or something to that effect. Who are these people? :hmm

Hopefully tonight in Bham Jeff will put Patient With Me and Sky Blue Sky (can we officially call it that now?) in the set. Would love to see Walken and The Thanks I Get live in a solo performance. Plus, Box Full of Letters and Should've Been In Love would be great as well :music . This is Jeff's first solo venture down south, so who knows when we will see him again...

Here was tonight's setlist:

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Remember The Mountain Bed

IATTBYH

Airline to Heaven

The Ruling Class

New Madrid

Radio King

Someone Else's Song (w/o p.a. system)

Theologians

California Stars

Hesitating Beauty

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

ELT

Jesus, etc.

A Shot in the Arm

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Passenger Side

Gun

Pecan Pie

Dreamer In My Dreams (w/o pa)

Acuff-Rose (w/o pa)

that has to be the best setlist thus far. pecan pie, NM, ELT, RTMB, Acuff and gun???

I can only hope for a setlist half this stunning in Charlottesville.

The two new songs he's been playing a lot solo are both pretty quiet, so...

Yeah, and judging from the crowd response to different songs, it seemed at least to me like there were a lot of "newer" fans who wanted to hear the "hits." Although there was some hooting and hollering for Uncle Tupelo stuff, the energy level was probably best when he did some of the singalongs off of YHF and AGIB--Jesus, HMD, Theologians, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that it probably wasn't the best overall venue to play some quiet songs that only a few people knew...;)

Amazing show last night. Best setlist of the solo tour. Great energy...sure people were talkng a bit, but when he tried to get it quiet and play with no PA, everyone did shut up. It was awesome and what a damn setlist! 'Gun' was incredible and I was glad to hear airline.

Jeff was hilarious and seemed to be having a great time with the crowd.

I don't know where all of you were, but I was (on the floor) surrounded by the most uptight twenty-somethings I have EVER seen at a show. What is wrong with you kids? LIGHTEN UP!!!! Concerts are supposed to be fun for crying out loud! Don't take yourselves so damn seriously. And for all of you talkers, you should be ashamed of yourselves! The constant buzz of chatter was completely disrespectful and a total disatraction. Come on New Orleans, what's the matter with you?!?!?!?!?!

An AMAZING show by Tweedy nonetheless! Very emotional!

I'd also love a recording if anyone got one.

I didn't see anybody recording, but that doesn't mean there wasn't anybody who was.

The talkers were annoying, but for some reason I didn't get that pissed at them. Probably because I think Jeff handled them in a pretty lighthearted kind of way; he made it clear they were annoying but he kept the mood pretty light/funny.

Is it just me, or did it look like he only decided to play Someone Else's Song after some goofball starting yelling for Moonshiner?

Didn't hear the goofball but it did seem like a very spontaneous decision. I didn't see anywhere in other recent set lists where he played off pa mid set, although I was expecting it at the end. My assumption was that he did it in an attempt to quiet the talkers. Speaking of goofball requests some idiot shouted "Who Let the Dogs Out" and Tweedy responded with "um, that's not my song but if it was I'd play the shit out of it" or something to that effect. Funny stuff.

By the way, I'm not a cherry ghost. I've lurked here off and on and even posted once in a blue moon for years now but for some reason I had to re-register recently. I've seen Wilco at least 10 times over the years but never had the opportunity to see Tweedy solo. Friday night will definitely go down as one of the best shows I've seen by anyone.

--

Peach

http://www.last.fm/user/tpeach

http://www.myspace.com/tpeach