Chicago 11/24/06

Just back from the first night t the auditorium theater and loved every minute of it. Bodes well for tomorrow night too. Hope the show wll make it onto etree... highlights: Sunken Treasure, There's a Light, Shot in the Arm (never get tired of seeing that performed), a crazy little drum solo deal with guitar techs and band members shaking all sorts of hoo-ha around Mr Drummer Man... also would like to hear more about the Bunny with the beat box to kick things off, if any one has insight into that.

New songs started off the set... was the first time I've heard it so don't know the title...

Looking forward to tomorrow night: Spiders/ Kidsmoke, At Least That's What you Said, Forget the Flowers, Misunderstood

Just back from the first night t the auditorium theater and loved every minute of it. Bodes well for tomorrow night too. Hope the show wll make it onto etree... highlights: Sunken Treasure, There's a Light, Shot in the Arm (never get tired of seeing that performed), a crazy little drum solo deal with guitar techs and band members shaking all sorts of hoo-ha around Mr Drummer Man... also would like to hear more about the Bunny with the beat box to kick things off, if any one has insight into that.

New songs started off the set... was the first time I've heard it so don't know the title...

Looking forward to tomorrow night: Spiders/ Kidsmoke, At Least That's What you Said, Forget the Flowers, Misunderstood

No setlist here but...

Yeah it was great, I went with both my parents and we all had a blast. I've never seen Remember the Mountain Bed with full band, and the new song "Shake it Off" is really cool.

And yeah, Glenns solo during Let's Not Get Carried Away (surrounded by Detholtz AND wilco) was phenomenal.

Loved every minute of it, too many highlights to mention but Sunken Treasure rock out version does stand out.

Detholtz was really fun as well, I enjoyed their set a lot more than I thought I would. And the drumming bunny was pretty damn cool as well. I also would like to hear more about him.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

also would like to hear more about the Bunny with the beat box to kick things off, if any one has insight into that.

That was Bobb Bruno, of L.A. He's a really cool guy.

Yeah it was great, I went with both my parents and we all had a blast.

I went with my mom! It was family night, as the Detholz pointed out early on. Anyway, Mom loved the show. Yay! Of course, when you have your mom along you can't really go out post-show. :lol

I'm afraid I don't have the setlist either (I have a feeling bbop will if nobody else) but the show seemed quite long. I don't have any wonderful insights to share, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Oh, they played "Future Age".

drumming bunny came on before wilco, made absolutely no sense to me, and they never offered an explanation for him

in no order heres a list of songs I can guarantee they played

what light

walken

california stars

sunken treasure

airline to heaven

remember the mountain bed

I am trying to break your heart

heavy metal drummer

handshake drugs

via chicago

hummingbird

hell is chrome

muzzle of bees

I'm the man who loves you

jesus ect...

in a future age

kingpin

shot in the arm

late greats

company in my back

theologians

new song(opened set, the one they debuted in madison)

new song(in encore with cool glenn drum solo)

I think a couple others that I'm forgetting

it was a really solid show all around, and I can't wait for tomorrow

Please! A little more detail for those of us not lucky enough to be there!

What is this drummimng bunny all about? Did it play with Wilco?

Here are the songs I remember:

Shake it Off

Hell is Chrome

Muzzle of Bees

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

Company in My Back

Theologians

The Late Greats

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

War on War

Jesus etc.

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You *Dedicated to Mrs. Tweedy

Shot in the Arm

In a Future Age

Via Chicago

Kingpin

Sunken Treasure

Remember the Mountain Bed

California Stars

Airline to Heaven

Lets Not Get Carried Away

Walken

Impossible Germany

What Light * Dedicated to John's Baby

Seemed like a very ROCKING night. Mikael was being very silly and did a robot. Jeff mentioned us being a hometown audience a few times, not much banter. Before they came out a guy came out in a bunny costume with a drum machine and banged on it for a few minutes, it was pretty cool.

Setlist as written:

Shake It Off

Hell Is Chrome

Handshake

Shot

Impossible

Break

Muzzle

Company

War

Sunken

Mountain Bed (full band..hell yes)

Airline

Jesus

Walken

Theologians

I'm The Man

Hummingbird

Via Chicago

What Light

Late Greats

Future Age

Cali Stars

HMD

LNGCAway

Kingpin

great show..seemed pretty lengthy but i guess not too much longer than most, they played for about 2 and a half hours, came on around 9 i think and left the stage right at 11:30. it sounded fantastic, everyone was really on tonight, and the crowd was pretty good too. convincing enough of a night to make me sell my andrew bird ticket and go again tomorrow methinks...if tomorrow night is anything like tonight was, i dont want to miss it. oh yeah and thanks, of course, to all the VCers/concert buddies that made the night so much awesomer (yes, awesomer) :wub

Yeah it was great, I went with both my parents and we all had a blast. I've never seen Remember the Mountain Bed with full band, and the new song "Shake it Off" is really cool.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Oh man..why didn't I jump on those extras :punch

Sounds like a great way to kick off the weekend!

After seeing them twice last month from the first row, I thought that I might feel a little "meh" about yet another show being that I was about 20 rows back. Boy was I wrong. This was a terrific show -- one of the best I have seen.

The song selection was excellent, and I thought that I might have a complete coronary when I recognized Sunken Treasure which is easily in my top 3 Wilco songs. I loved the full band, rockin' version; much more guitar oriented than any that I have heard. I guess the one thing about it I missed was Jeff's soaring vocals that he does when he plays it solo. If he ever incorporates those with this version, it might put me in the stratosphere.

Other song highlights were Mountain Bed (took me a minute to figure out what it was :lol), Via Chicago (flat out blistering), Walken (keeps getting tighter and tighter), Theologians, Hell is Chrome, Handshake Drugs, and Let's Not Get Carried Away. Really, the entire show was a highlight for me and one that I am looking forward to getting a copy of.

Frankly, I think the audience was a little flat. While everyone stood most of the time in my section, it took more than a few songs to loosen people up. By the encore most people were dancing and enjoying themselves.

Anyway, a great time was had by all. For those of you keeping score at home, I took my son to his first show tonight. Not sure if it was all the excitement, or being up late the night before, but he was asleep before the end of Muzzle of Bees :wub He said he liked it though and wants to go again :lol

And it was great seeing all the VC peeps. Was sitting just in front of MsY and Wendy, but I'll wait for one of them to chime in and speak of their great fortune!

Edie

amazing show. Shake It Off is killer, as is LNGC Away. Actually, I have a new appreciation for all the new songs after seeing them up close and personal. I agree with Edie that the crowd was a little flat in spots, but was rocking by the encores. Sure, I would have loved a few more "rarities", but who can complain about this setlist? Plus, it looks like we got a few more songs than they have been averaging on this tour.

I'm tempted to go tonight (lots of scalpers outside). I assume it will be the usual crew setlist deal as the last show of the tour; very curious to see what makes it on the list.

I was an usher up in the nosebleeds, and it was great all the way up top. I was kind of upset because most of the people up there were sitting throughout almost all of the show, I would've liked someone to dance with when Walken came around.

It didn't really stop me too much though.

Highlights include:

Via Chicago(talk about energy)

Sunken Treasure

California Stars(though, I was hoping for the more dynamic sing-along version where jeff goes high)

The drunk guy next to me who said 'dude, you know your fucking shit' when I was singing and dancing.

Can't wait for tonight. I saw Glenn after the show and he told me they were 'going to mix it up'

Did anybody get some good pictures?

Lastly, the light show was worthy of Pink Floyd.

I saw the bunny guy open up for Nels Cline at Largo in LA about 5 months ago. It was pretty weird/cool. Nels went on to do an hour of Neil Young covers that was pretty cool. He was filling in for Jon Brion.

From the archives.

Bobb Bruno, besides being a cool musician on his own, is a good friend of Nels, and he was Jon Brion's former tech. I'm glad to hear the big bunny head made it to Chicago!

After seeing them twice last month from the first row, I thought that I might feel a little "meh" about yet another show being that I was about 20 rows back. Boy was I wrong. This was a terrific show -- one of the best I have seen.

The song selection was excellent, and I thought that I might have a complete coronary when I recognized Sunken Treasure which is easily in my top 3 Wilco songs. I loved the full band, rockin' version; much more guitar oriented than any that I have heard. I guess the one thing about it I missed was Jeff's soaring vocals that he does when he plays it solo. If he ever incorporates those with this version, it might put me in the stratosphere.

Other song highlights were Mountain Bed (took me a minute to figure out what it was :lol), Via Chicago (flat out blistering), Walken (keeps getting tighter and tighter), Theologians, Hell is Chrome, Handshake Drugs, and Let's Not Get Carried Away. Really, the entire show was a highlight for me and one that I am looking forward to getting a copy of.

Frankly, I think the audience was a little flat. While everyone stood most of the time in my section, it took more than a few songs to loosen people up. By the encore most people were dancing and enjoying themselves.

Anyway, a great time was had by all. For those of you keeping score at home, I took my son to his first show tonight. Not sure if it was all the excitement, or being up late the night before, but he was asleep before the end of Muzzle of Bees :wub He said he liked it though and wants to go again :lol

And it was great seeing all the VC peeps. Was sitting just in front of MsY and Wendy, but I'll wait for one of them to chime in and speak of their great fortune!

Edie

I think I was sitting directly infront of you at the show (an 8-10 year old boy was behind me and I know he was asleep during the show)

I probably contributed to your opinion of the stale crowd because I don't sing or dance, but did you notice how many times people left to go get beer? I thought that was a problem with the crowd, and the people infront of me were obnoxious talkers throughout the show too

I think I was sitting directly infront of you at the show (an 8-10 year old boy was behind me and I know he was asleep during the show)

I probably contributed to your opinion of the stale crowd because I don't sing or dance, but did you notice how many times people left to go get beer? I thought that was a problem with the crowd, and the people infront of me were obnoxious talkers throughout the show too

Nice to meet you! :yay

Actually, it was more the people closer to the front. I am pretty sure that the band can only really see into the crowd 10 or so rows, and *many* peeps there seemed to be observers. I could be totally wrong; this was my impression. I do know that Jeff has said he prefers to have people singing (dancing is prolly a secondary thing) because he feeds off the energy.....

Edie

No smoking anywhere in the venue (I believe) and cameras/kameras (no video) are fine

My wife and I drove in to the big city for the day. A little lunch at Goose Island, a little window shopping, marveled at the chrome jellybean, checked out the great outdoor performance space at Grant? park (who plays there in the summer?), chatted with a cool cat from California at the Artist's Cafe, in other words made a whole day of it sans kids. Oh and we saw some cool local band called Wilco. It was the best time either of us has had in Chicago and we barely scratched the surface.

The theatre was tremendous. A real cultural gem. You folks are lucky to have such architechural history preserved and in use. We like to raze everything and put up ugly new buildings or parking lots.

The show highlights for me: Bob the Bunny, Hell is Chrome, Muzzle of Bees, Sunken Treasure, Mountain Bed. But really a stellar show all around. And who can argue with a 25 song setlist and 2 1/2 hour show.

Random observations: I found out I'm a shusher. I had persistent talkers behind me, which I can usually tune out, but once Muzzle started I had to tell em to shut it. The hometown crowd had the best energy of the three shows I've seen. Except for the loungers in those side boxes everyone was up and singing (or at least stroking their chin and nodding in appreciation).

Finally,

glennKotche.jpeg

=

keithmoonset.jpg

Glenn is a madman. His drum solo was extremely worthy of that title (which I didn't think was the case in E.Lansing). I kept waiting for his kit to explode from all the energy he was generating. He could have powered a small city on his own.

is the rock version of sunken treasure more like the album version? or is it something different?

yeah i'd say it's closer to that. i have a version from 97 i believe and it sounds like that kind of.

very good version though, i definitely prefer it to the softer one