Peeping Tom @ Irving Plaza, 9/29

Peeping Tom was fantastic. I think they did the whole album, including bringing out that Brazilian woman (Bebel?) as a special guest. I was hoping for a Norah Jones appearance but no such luck. No Kool Keith either. The girl in the band, Imani, oh my god...I'm hetero but damn, she was sexy. She actually looked like a doll, she was so perfect. We were right in front of her. Rahzel was drawdroppingly good, at one point doing a one man human beatbox recreating an entire song; bass, drums, melody, female vocals including verse and chorus.... Mike Patton was, well, Mike Patton, but he was having a great time. Lots of smiles. They had the BEST merch too....in addition to the t-shirts and stuff, they also sold Peeping Tom hairnets, and also something I couldn't resist....Peeping Tom BINOCULARS. Seriously, could there have been a better product??? :lol

But it was a real battle to withstand all the shit that went on before them. Since it was a Wired Magazine thing, they picked the openers, which had no relavence whatsoever to Peeping Tom. Basically we stood among 500 twenty-something dancing clubbies for three hours, wrestling to keep our spot near the front. The first act, Girl Talk, was a guy with a laptop overlapping old songs with new raps (Def Leppard with 2Pac, Paul Simon with Missy Elliott) as he gradually went from a 3 piece suit down to his boxers. He did crowdsurf though, which was a plus for us because it helped us inch our way forward when everyone moved to catch him.

Next a big video screen came down and a guy at turntables (Diplo) basically just spun records for an hour without anyone but the people on the far right of the stage being able to see him. Amazingly no one seemed to think this was at all strange except for me, Al, and the guy next to me who was equally unamused and was obviously standing his ground for Peeping Tom, just like us. He got into a yelling match with a drunk asshole who kept worming his way all the way from the front row to the back of the room to get more drinks for him and his lunatic sister and then pushing his way back through. I joined in on that one, it was fun. A girl that was with them was obviously dancing in a way that would hopefully bump me backwards and away from her. That just made me mad, so I stood firm and took every ass blow she could manage without budging an inch.

When Peeping Tom finally came on (after 3+ hours of this) I was so fired up and determined to make these peoples' lives a living hell that I started jumping up and down and into them as much as possible, sticking my arms in front of their faces, throwing elbows (which are very pointy and useful in these situations), creating human walls with the sympathizer next to me, and basically having a great time while ruining theirs. But isn't that how a Mike Patton show should be? :lol

I didn't manage to get any good pictures but I know the guy from the Brooklynvegan blog was there and he seemed to get a lot of great shots from what I could see over his shoulder, so hopefully he'll put them up soon.

When Peeping Tom finally came on (after 3+ hours of this) I was so fired up and determined to make these peoples' lives a living hell that I started jumping up and down and into them as much as possible, sticking my arms in front of their faces, throwing elbows (which are very pointy and useful in these situations), creating human walls with the sympathizer next to me, and basically having a great time while ruining theirs. But isn't that how a Mike Patton show should be? :lol

I didn't manage to get any good pictures but I know the guy from the Brooklynvegan blog was there and he seemed to get a lot of great shots from what I could see over his shoulder, so hopefully he'll put them up soon.

excellent! thanks for the review, Jen. I'm hoping they come back to chicago.

EDIT: did they do anything from Lovage?

Edited by Pervert McMurderman

Y'know, I have only listened to that a couple times, I sort of forgot about it, but there was an encore song I didn't recognize that Mike brought Bebel back out for....she didn't even know it and he just told her to follow along. It seems like it could have been from Loveage.

Y'know, I have only listened to that a couple times, I sort of forgot about it, but there was an encore song I didn't recognize that Mike brought Bebel back out for....she didn't even know it and he just told her to follow along. It seems like it could have been from Loveage.

sounds like it.

It's funny, I never even thought about it being one of his songs. He does the craziest covers I just assumed it was some obscure song no one's ever heard before.

it's a really good album. fits right in with a lot of the Peeping tom stuff.

They opened up for the Who at MSG and they were booed off the stage. I really didn't like them but

A) Its not my type of music

B It is not an appropriate opener for the Who and

C) the sound was really unbalanced for them.

Im sure at Irving Plaza it would have been executed better.

Edited by remphish1