Wilco -- 12/6/08

Just before the show started, the crew welcomed Glenn back from his one-show hiatus in style by adorning his drum kit with a variety of brightly colored flowers (I saw some carnations and maybe hibiscus in there). And Jeff made several comments about how glad they were to have "the best drummer in the world" back and how he had skipped out on a rock show to play Carnegie Hall, etc. Sincere of course, but also sometimes delivered in a tone of giving Glenn shit which I think everyone enjoys. :P

Seems like quite a few people made the trek up here for this one because I saw a number of familiar faces in the crowd.

Anyway, setlist as follows:

Forget the Flowers

You Are My Face

Hummingbird

Muzzle of Bees

IATTBYH

Handshake Drugs

War on War

Via Chicago

Jesus, etc.

Impossible Germany

A Shot in the Arm

California Stars

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

-------------------------------

Poor Places>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

-------------------------------

Passenger Side

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Kingpin

Monday>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Thanks for the set list, Paul. Has the weather been easy on you?

I'm sorry I missed an entire concert's worth of Jeff giving Glenn shit--especially since it involved flora. Forget The Flowers first. Of course.

The final trio of songs looks like it probably left the place rocking. Wish I could've been there.

When I finally got home at 3 a.m., I was going to start this thread, but I didn't pay any attention to the order of the set list because you were there :lol

Before Heavy Metal Drummer, Jeff quipped that they were playing their "greatest hits" package since it was their first time in Rochester. It was a fairly standard set list, but what was so great about last night was the energy. The band was loose and even silly at times, and their enthusiasm seemed to bring something new to a lot of the songs. I confess I was starting to get a little tired of Impossible Germany, but Nels's solo was the very best version I've heard, and Spiders was long and noisy and fun. I was expecting Red-Eyed and Blue>I Got You since they played it Friday, but I was more pleased with Monday>Outtasite for the closer.

During Spiders, Jeff was tossing some of Glenn's many flowers to the crowd. There were so many of them! And at the start of ITMWLY, when before Glenn stood up, all the guys were shaking flowers at him. It was funny.

It was fun to see how the crowd changed over the course of the show, too. All the people sitting around me were guys, and a lot of them were acting like they weren't really that into the show at first. By the end, though, all of them were dancing and screaming and carrying on. I think the band definitely won some new fans last night.

Great show, and it was nice to finally not have to drive 4+ hours to see them!

We'll be back soon

:thumbup

Great show, the undersung heroes last night were the guys at the soundboard. Absolutely perfect, and I got the chance to hear a lot of nuances that I hadn't before.

I was a tad bit disappointed by the greatest hits set list (but I got Muzzle!), but only slightly - given what I believe to be a greater than normal number of first time Wilco attendees, it was worth it, and maybe it's just me, but Nels seemed a bit more subdued than normal (that was meant in a good way), playing with a lot more definition in his notes. That's a crappy description, but the best I can do right now. The band definitely seemed to be having a great time, and they were as tight musically as they could be.

But the band's and the crowd's energy did nothing but build all night, sort of like a feeling out process, and by the end Wilco owned the Aud. Can't wait to find out what all te noobs I knew who were going thought.

3089796978_83b6dc8e10.jpg

Alstroemeria? (Thanks, Tamala.) I saw a lot of carnations, too. Anyway, I'm impressed it's still alive after having been outside for even five minutes.

Last night was fun - nice to see the band again playing a full show. Sure, I would have liked to hear a new song or two, but I certainly can't complain. Everything got a great reaction. Opening with "Forget the Flowers" = classic. John was doing some spirited jumping throughout the show, and Pat's beard (pelt?) continues to impress.

The show was a bonus for me - if I hadn't pulled up excellent seats in the "why not just try?" presale, there's no way I would have made a December trip to upstate NY. Looking out the window right now, I'm hoping I actually get back home for work tomorrow.

Last night was my first Wilco show, and I was absolutely blown away by the band, by comparison to this different band I saw at the same venue earlier in the year...... well there was no comparison lol, Wilco just blew the doors off the place, not to mention the unbelievable light display. Tremendous.

I do have a question though, does anyone know if this show was taped, I like finding recordings of shows I've been to, and this one is probably my favorite of the four concerts I've ever been to overall.

I definitely saw at least two tapers.

I forgot to mention this in my other post, but I really enjoyed Jennifer O'Connor's set. I missed her at the Wilmington show back in August, so I had no idea what to expect. She's got some really sharp lyrics, and she and her band had a bigger, richer sound than I was expecting. I got her CD last night, and I'm looking forward to listening to it.

I do have a question though, does anyone know if this show was taped, I like finding recordings of shows I've been to, and this one is probably my favorite of the four concerts I've ever been to overall.

The show was definitely taped, but it's considered good form to give tapers some time to work on their recordings before asking about them. Some put shows up remarkably quickly, but be patient. Give 'em at least a week before asking for stuff. :thumbup

I also meant to mention earlier that I'm pretty sure Pot Kettle Black and Hoodoo Voodoo were also on the printed setlist, but not played. Looked like Jeff audibled out of PKB after A Shot in the Arm, for whatever reason. And Hoodoo was listed as the closer, but they didn't wind up doing it. It was already well past 11 at that point, so they might have been running up against a curfew issue (but that's just speculation on my part).

Prior to launching into "Passenger Side," Jeff also mentioned that this was Wilco's first time playing in Rochester. Though he did say that Uncle Tupelo had once driven to Rochester from somewhere specifically to go to a store called House of Guitars. Apparently Jeff and others dropped by the place again yesterday before the show.

First show for me. If I got a typical setlist last night, can't wait for the next one. Great energy, sound was superior, particularly the vocals. Opening act was solid. Nice venue. Good crowd.

That was a superb show....had a great time. Echoing 363's comments, the band was tight and in good spirits...and Jeff was in good form too, lots of funny banter and very gracious with the audience. Holy Christ it was LOUD too, at least where I was sitting. My ears rang for 15-20 mins after the show ended. Actually I thought the sound was a little bit off...Jeff's mic sounded a bit nasal, which I would've dismissed, but some of the acoustic guitars sounded really tinny as well.

Every song had something special. Cali Stars featured a synth-organ solo by Michael and later an electric piano solo by Pat....really cool. I thought Nels was on fire, and so was Glenn. Just a great atmosphere all around...I'd definitely make that drive to see them at the Aud again. Still can't believe I scored a row J LC ticket the nite before, for $27! :P

This is the best fucking band on the planet, period.

Great crowd. Beautiful venue.

Loved the acoustic opening on Poor Places.

Thought Jeff's guitar work on Spiders was spectacularly gnarled.

Anyone else think they weren't as loud as in past shows?

Or is my hearing prematurely failing?

I had a great time. Hoping tonight will be as satisfying.

That was a superb show....had a great time. Echoing 363's comments, the band was tight and in good spirits...and Jeff was in good form too, lots of funny banter and very gracious with the audience. Holy Christ it was LOUD too, at least where I was sitting. My ears rang for 15-20 mins after the show ended. Actually I thought the sound was a little bit off...Jeff's mic sounded a bit nasal, which I would've dismissed, but some of the acoustic guitars sounded really tinny as well.

Every song had something special. Cali Stars featured a synth-organ solo by Michael and later an electric piano solo by Pat....really cool. I thought Nels was on fire, and so was Glenn. Just a great atmosphere all around...I'd definitely make that drive to see them at the Aud again. Still can't believe I scored a row J LC ticket the nite before, for $27! :P

This is the best fucking band on the planet, period.

In regards to the nasal-sounding vocals, I think that has something to do with the way the venue's sound system is set up, I went to a different gig in September and the band's vocals sounded the exact same way, except more noticeable since the lead singer had a higher vocal range than Jeff.

Quote from the Rochester newspaper review: "Instead, as an encore, Wilco played tribute to its current employer with a version of Young's "Roll Another Number"

Is this true or just some lousy reporter's confusion w/ Passenger Side???

Quote from the Rochester newspaper review: "Instead, as an encore, Wilco played tribute to its current employer with a version of Young's "Roll Another Number"

Is this true or just some lousy reporter's confusion w/ Passenger Side???

Jeff Spevak blew the review for the Rochester commercial fishwrap. I'll be interested to see Sity Newspaper's review (whoever writes it).

As an aside, did anyone else see the "Where are the Flaming Lips?" T-shirt? Had me laughing.....

This was my fourth Wilco show (Chastain Park, Ovens, Massey Hall) and Roch will rank as my favorite one yet... thanks for the photo's, you must have been standing right behind us, i hope our dancing didn't put our heads in too many of your shots....

Hey all.. the one taper i talked to mention b-tree as the future home of the show...

You probably mean bt.etree.org, right?

And to answer the earlier question, shows usually end up on one of the typical torrent sites like bt.etree or Dime. Often, a taper will post a link in the appropriate "After The Show" thread here on VC.

That was a great show. They had so much energy, Jeff seemed to be in high spirits poking fun at the others (the smuggling the beard over comment was great). I was pleased with the setlist, I would of liked a few new songs (the only one I've heard so far was the one on Colbert) but I understand why they did the 'greatest hits' setlist. I originally had tickets in Row N of the balcony, but found some 5th row RC tickets for $50 last minute, an incredible upgrade. I was pretty blown away by Spiders, it always makes me happy to see Jeff get down on the guitar, with Nels its expected but it just brings me joy to see Jeff rocking out. I had a great time, it was a great crowd (except the dude next to me who seemed to have ADD, he sat down stood up every 5 minutes and seemed to leave every 10 and come back 5 minutes later, it was odd) and I hope they come to Rochester again so I don't have to travel so far to see them.

>Quote from the Rochester newspaper review: "Instead, as an encore, Wilco played tribute to its current employer with a version of Young's "Roll Another Number"

>Is this true or just some lousy reporter's confusion w/ Passenger Side???

That's a bad job, but Passenger Side does sound like an outtake from Tonight's the Night.