Opening for Neil?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if this is true, it will be interesting to see how much tickets cost (since wilco holds to a different philosophy than neil). i wonder though, neil doesn't usually have an opening band/act unless it is his wife. will be cool to see if this rumor pans out.

I would think Wilco would be done opening for people at this point in their career. Maybe a show or two but I couldn't see this being a long-term thing.

Yeah I know...that would be weird. I doubt it'll actually pan out

I heard a similar rumor a few weeks ago....

Wilco opening for Neil on a handful of dates across Canada incuding a couple in Winnipeg - the city where Neil's musical career began

I like this rumour.

whats wrong with neil young

personally, I hate his music (with the expection of some of that Massey Hall album and On the Beach), but it goes beyond that. I feel like if you're still kind of (relatively) an up-and-coming rock band getting more mainstream attention, the last person I'd want to go on tour with is Neil Young. Why? a) he's just another aging boomer relic who is pulling out the "rares" in order to wow the audience that grew up on his hits while simultaneously egging on your overzealous critic fans to give you more praise than you deserve. B) Each member of your band can singlehandedly outperform him and has made better records on their bad days than this guy's best days. however, due to the novelty fact that "he's freaking Neil Young!" you'll never be given the credit ('you' being Wilco) you really deserve.

I mean, come on, to be fair, I don't like Neil Young but I think we could all agree here Wilco puts him out of business in terms of actual showmanship. His songs, not that he can help it, are either given a folk rock or grunge rock treatment and they never are given the room to breath life. Whereas, you have a band like Wilco, with two superhuman musicians and probably the most likable singer-songwriter in his age group playing songs of more dense emotional (okay, opinion) and musical (this however I feel is fact) complexities-- the craftsmanship of the mentioned bringing a tight yet spaced out sound. I feel like Wilco going on tour with that guy is Wilco not giving themselves enough credit. Yeah, he's Neil Young, but you're doing now what he did yesterday in terms of making contemporary, fresh, new sounding music. You're not recycling as much as your contemporaries are, the music you make is as new now is his was then. You should be the ones on stage, you can't help it that the music business has (for the most part) aged more intelligently than him and you get overlooked.

don't get me wrong. if you wanna go see Neil Young, go see Neil Young. But everyone should be going ape over getting to see him open for Wilco, not the other way around. I'm sure I'm the only one that feels this way, I'm sure I sound backwards to probably 99% of the people here.

personally, I hate his music (with the expection of some of that Massey Hall album and On the Beach), but it goes beyond that. I feel like if you're still kind of (relatively) an up-and-coming rock band getting more mainstream attention, the last person I'd want to go on tour with is Neil Young. Why? a) he's just another aging boomer relic who is pulling out the "rares" in order to wow the audience that grew up on his hits while simultaneously egging on your overzealous critic fans to give you more praise than you deserve. B) Each member of your band can singlehandedly outperform him and has made better records on their bad days than this guy's best days. however, due to the novelty fact that "he's freaking Neil Young!" you'll never be given the credit ('you' being Wilco) you really deserve.

I mean, come on, to be fair, I don't like Neil Young but I think we could all agree here Wilco puts him out of business in terms of actual showmanship. His songs, not that he can help it, are either given a folk rock or grunge rock treatment and they never are given the room to breath life. Whereas, you have a band like Wilco, with two superhuman musicians and probably the most likable singer-songwriter in his age group playing songs of more dense emotional (okay, opinion) and musical (this however I feel is fact) complexities-- the craftsmanship of the mentioned bringing a tight yet spaced out sound. I feel like Wilco going on tour with that guy is Wilco not giving themselves enough credit. Yeah, he's Neil Young, but you're doing now what he did yesterday in terms of making contemporary, fresh, new sounding music. You're not recycling as much as your contemporaries are, the music you make is as new now is his was then. You should be the ones on stage, you can't help it that the music business has (for the most part) aged more intelligently than him and you get overlooked.

don't get me wrong. if you wanna go see Neil Young, go see Neil Young. But everyone should be going ape over getting to see him open for Wilco, not the other way around. I'm sure I'm the only one that feels this way, I'm sure I sound backwards to probably 99% of the people here.

I myself am a big Neil Young fan as well as a big Wilco fan...to tell you the truth, Neil's influence on Wilco drew me to their music... Hey Giraffo you wouldn't have Wilco if not for Neil Young...Even though thats your opinion, I personally don't think you know what you're talking about.... Jeff Tweedy's singing has been compared to Neil, his guitar playing especially on AGIB sounds alot like Neil, sometimes his songs are structured like Neil's also.... you don't have to like him, but shit man, if you're a REAL Wilco fan, you HAVE to respect Neil Young

Wilco crowd+Neil crowd would be an excellent mix and would create an exciting vibe. Plus as an opener Jeff would be less likely to go into one of his pissy rants about "the talkers." :rolleyes

Ohio. If Neil did nothing else, he'd still be a legend, just for that song.

jeez, is this really the type of person Wilco wants to associate with?

I originally laughed out loud at what I thought was your funny bit of sarcasm. But you really mean it! :lol

Seriously, though ... my 18yo nephew would not like Neil Young either.

I don't know if giraffo's dislike of Neil Young is a reflection of a 40-year generation gap or just his personal musical taste. In any event, I appreciate giraffo's statements even though I disagree completely (except that last sentence, of course ;) ). I'm sure my age (52) gives me a different perspective on Neil Young. Every single one of my friends is a Neil Young fan, whereas it would not surprise me that many 20-year-olds are not.

Wilco has opened for the Rolling Stones, played Madison Square Garden, performed on Saturday Night Live, raised funds for Obama and many other charities, completed a career-spanning 5-night residency, and have performed in almost all 50 states. That's a lot of dreams coming true.

If this rumor is true of Wilco opening for Neil Young, sounds to me like another dream realized for Wilco. :)

Wow, and just when I thought I could read sarcasm.

I am speachless.

Neil is the man plain and simple.

No reason to defend it, it is a fact of life.

If Neil did tour with Crazy Horse it would be the final tour with them. I am not sure that he has it in him to do that again. His current Europe tour has been a mainly electric show and if you heard the boots, he is shredding like crazy. If fact he has been ending the shows with "A Day in The Life" beatles cover.

All that being said, I doubt Wiclo will open for him for an entire tour, I could see a few dates.

Plus they need to play Bridge School, everyone else has. It is like doing SNL...another notch in your belt.

i wonder though, neil doesn't usually have an opening band/act unless it is his wife. will be cool to see if this rumor pans out.

Really? He's always had an opening act when I've seen him (Blind Melon, Lucinda Williams, Jewel...and before those was the tour that Sonic Youth and Social Distortion opened. I didn't make it to that one, though.)

Neil used to be one of my absolute favorites, but I doubt I'll go see or buy anything by him anymore unless it's with Crazy Horse. Sorry Neil.

This board has been the source of two of the most egregiously jawdropping posts EVER in the last week:

Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks overrated?

Neil Young overrated?

Sweet Fancy Moses.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking.

Plus they need to play Bridge School, everyone else has. It is like doing SNL...another notch in your belt.

They did in 2003. There's a really good version of Bob Dylan's 49th Beard on the official compilation

Wilco crowd+Neil crowd would be an excellent mix and would create an exciting vibe. Plus as an opener Jeff would be less likely to go into one of his pissy rants about "the talkers." :rolleyes

If you think Tweedy has been pissy about "talkers", what about Neil? That guy has had absolute meltdowns over people talking during his set. :rolleyes

SHOCKING! I can't believe I'm reading this stuff on the Wilco board. What would we all do without everything Neil did from the first Buffalo Springfield album at least to Rust Never Sleeps?

First I have to deal with my best friend hating Neil Young and whining everytime I listen to him, but from you guys. I expected more.

Unless we are talking about his last couple records, which I could honestly take or leave.